Hello, oh and I have Battery drain issue

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tim74bailey, Dec 28, 2007.

1. tim74bailey

tim74bailey New Member

Hey ..

Firstly, Great site. Secondly .. loving my new iPod Touch.

Just one small thing though .. for the pass two nights I've had total battery drain!?

The first night it was on ‘sleep’ (I hadn't actually figured out how to turn it off at that point!) but it did have a full battery. It was totally drained when I went to use it in the morning. I figured maybe I had music still playing or something. Anyhow, last night I actually turned it off, still with a recharged full battery – however this morning on the train to work .. totally dead battery again!?

A quick search on Google tells me that not everyone is happy with the battery. I'm no techie .. but am I doing something wrong or do I need to send this baby back to it's maker?

Please Register or Log in to view images

Thanks

2. owie007

owie007 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Have you got OpenSSH installed?
  3. silfer

silfer New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    yea, SSH and Wifi drains the batteries real quick. turn it off if you dont need it
  4. tim74bailey

tim74bailey New Member

To be honest I have no idea if OpenSSH is installed or not .. (never heard of it!

)

I'll certainly turn off the wifi tonight and turn off the unit itself and see if there is any power in the battery in the morning !

Thanks guys
  5. FluxBox

FluxBox New Member

How do you turn off OpenSSH? There's no icon on my Touch.
  6. tim74bailey

tim74bailey New Member

It's now the next morning - with wifi turned off overnight, my battery issues seems to have been solved - THANK YOU

Now .. need to find myself a decent case

7. Timothy__Ratner

Timothy__Ratner New Member

I may suggest the Griffin iClear, it serves me well.
  8. Scythal

Scythal New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    OpenSSH has nothing to do with draining batteries, you have to understand how the system works before posting urban legends

This process runs in the background like some others, and only wakes up if something is received to activate it, otherwise the CPU won't waste power for nothing. It's actually pretty clean. (OpenSSH claims SSH is slightly less efficient, but I doubt it makes any significant difference).

What drains power is Wi-Fi, I guess that's why people mistake it for Open/SSH since both are often used together. Other things that drain power is leaving the iPod connected to the USB port of a PC/whateverelse that is switched off.

Anyway, it's still a very powerful CPU running on a little battery, simply switch it off at night instead of leaving it on sleep.
  9. tsice19

tsice19 New Member

I love the iClear... I put it on my ipod before I did anything. The screen protectors are crap though; I put them on and it didnt feel right (thats what she said!) so I just ripped them off and watch the youtube scratch test to feel better.
  10. TheDarkMushroom

TheDarkMushroom New Member

yeh I have major drain issues as well. LOL dumb question but do I turn my iTouch off when charging?