Hello, need advice before purchasing

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself' started by crownroyal, Jan 23, 2008.

1. crownroyal

crownroyal New Member

Hello
    I am new to the forum and wanted some information about the Ipod touch. I have been an avid ipod fan for almost 5 years now and would love to get the iphone but I am with verizon. What I am looking for is for something that I can carry around with me to use as a pda. I have a pda but I often leave it at home because I don't want to carry it around but since I always have my ipod with me whether i am at the gym, in the car, work, home, etc... i thought it would be nice to have pda functionality built into the ipod. So with the new "jailbreak" feature out there would this work and is it the best thing for me to get.

I thought about a blackberry or the palm but I hate the idea of paying an additional $40/month on the data plan because email isn't my top priority. Calendar, to do list, contacts (with addresses) would be my top priorities.

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
  2. iTouch532

iTouch532 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    OMG DON"T BUY A PDA!!! those don't exist anymore didn't you hear? no j/k well the capabilities of the iPod are really "endless" you'll have A "PDA" (useless right now) and everything else you've ever wanted, You've made the right choice in wanting to get a Touch, And believe me once you downgrade and jailbreak it, You'll be amazed as to how much you can do with it, Some of us now use VOiP, to TALK yes TALK with our iPods.

oh and if you have any questions feel free to ask!

welcome.
  3. iTouch532

Device:
    iPod touch
  4. crownroyal

crownroyal New Member

Thanks for the help. I will check out the youtube clip. is there a webpage to check out all the "widgets" for what I want to do like calendar, appts, contacts, addresses, to do list. Thanks
  5. AnotherFan

AnotherFan New Member

To tell you the truth, you don't need to jailbreak an iPod to get all your desired applications.

Both the iPod Touch and the iPhone come standard with Calendar, Contacts, Email, Stocks, Maps, Notes..and more. AND even more when you jailbreak it.

I would suggest buying it, seeing as it can only get better, with the Software Development Kit.
  6. iTouch532

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yeah that's true, You can buy the one one with the new apps from apple, and later you can jailbreak it if you desire.
  7. toomuchcaffeine

toomuchcaffeine New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    There are numerous easy ways to unlock the iPhone for use on the Verizon network. Check out modmyifone.com. And welcome!
  8. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

Wait, can't you not jailbreak a new iPhone?
  9. toomuchcaffeine

toomuchcaffeine New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yep, you can jailbreak it. And unlock it.
    But to thread starter: Most of the functionality you want now ships with new iPod Touches except for the todolist. You'll need to jailbreak your iPod if you want a todo app.
  10. crownroyal

crownroyal New Member

Everyone thanks for all the help! So you can unlock the iphone to work on verizon? That is news to me but I thought they worked on different networks and it was a internal hardware issue. I will have to do some research on this.

Thanks again

Edit... just did some research and iphone will not work on verizon.