Hello from Long Island

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself' started by wayrad, Mar 11, 2010.

1. wayrad

wayrad New Member

I'm planning to buy an iPod Touch and this forum is really a great source of information. I've still got a couple of questions, though, and hope it's OK to ask them here.

Originally I was going to get a new 3G 32GB from Amazon, but in my reading here I found that recent ones come with the 3.1.3 firmware, which can't be jailbroken or downgraded. I gather a jailbreaking solution won't be available until the 4G comes out. I think I'll probably want to jailbreak once I acquire a basic familiarity with the device. It looks like many or most of the 3G 32GBs and 64GBs being shipped now have the newest firmware, and there's no way to make sure I don't get one. (Edited to add: Amazon lists an MC model number, so I guess that means they all have the new firmware now.)

So, if I understand all this correctly, maybe a 2G 32GB would be a better solution for me, since it can be jailbroken right now. Does the 2G have any major disadvantages compared to the 3G? From what I've read, the faster processer in the 3G doesn't make much of a real-world difference, and the 2G may have better battery life. For what it's worth, I plan to use the device mainly for PIM management, ebook reading, and games (not necessarily in that order). Does either model have an advantage in these areas, and does jailbreaking provide any specific advantages for those kinds of uses?

Sorry for the longwinded post, I'm trying to sort out a large volume of recently acquired information

Please Register or Log in to view images

, and I'm not completely sure I've got it all right!
  2. Theodosius

Theodosius Active Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    Welcome!!
    Just get the 3G, you never jailbroke, so it won't be bad.
    The 3G is faster, visibly faster.
    For what you want to use it for, jailbreaking won't have that many advantages.
  3. wayrad

wayrad New Member

Hey, thanks for the reply! I had given up and not looked at this thread for a while. I've about come to the same conclusion you gave - by the time I really explore the device's capabilities there will probably be a jailbreak available anyway, if I still want it.

Now I'm worrying about whether I should get an iPhone...thought I didn't have AT&T coverage at home, but it looks like maybe I do now. Lots of $$$ though!