Heh kind of a long story...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Evan711, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Evan711

Evan711 New Member

Now, I really don't want to look like the average noobie that posts on this site and asks questions without doing the proper research first. However, its very possible that im about to make my self look like a complete dumbass because this may be a topic covered already and i may have just missed it. Nevertheless I still sit here with an iTouch 1st Generation in hand and am absolutely clueless.

If you want to get the full story on how my iTouch got to be how it is, read on.

If you want to skip all my jibber jabber you can skip right down to the part in bold.

I bought the iPod off of a friend recently (about a week ago) and he had never updated it(it was on software 1.1.5). Now please keep in mind I had absolutely no experience with Mac Products, Jailbreaking, iPod Hacking, ect. Now i am not a total idiot, I googled around, watched A LOT of YouTube videos and i thought, "Hey, this jail breaking stuff looks cool i think i should give it a shot even though i have no idea what the hell im doing." Well to my surprise, I was successful! I had jailbroken my iTouch in 1.1.5 firmware. The next day i realized i still didnt know what i was doing because yes, i had jailbroken it, but no, i didnt know how to install stuff from installer right away. Eventually yeah i figured it all out but it just felt like too much work and I really just wanted to have an average itouch experiance and decided id be better off just updating it for 2.2.1. So thats exactly what I did. I discovered the App Store and the wiggle feature and all that great stuff, the fun lasted a while until i saw this one video that changed everything for me. I saw the potential of just how cool a jailbroken iTouch can be, this guy had custom themes, he was playing friggin pokemon on his iTouch, he even had a different boot logo. So naturally I immediately started googling trying to figure out how to jailbreak the new software version, 2.2.1. I eventually watched enough tutorial videos and felt i was ready to jailbreak again. So I download quickpwn and follow all the instructions and at the point where it says hold power and home buttons for 10 secs. my ipod shuts down and it just loads the exploit bootloader forever. So I decided maybe im way over my head. Maybe it didnt work because i did something wrong the first time i jailbroke on a different software version. I have no idea. So I decided maybe i should clear off my iTouch and try again...this was the biggest mistake of all, now im not really sure what i did. All i know was that my intentions were to restore so it would be like i just bought it because i figured, "What could go wrong? It will be like im doing it for the first time and it will work perfectly!" Once again this was NOT the case. I think what i did was put it into "force restore" manually or something. Finally all i know now is that, in order for my iTouch to do absolutely anything, i must hold down the power and home buttons for a little bit then it will display the USB Cord and the arrow pointing to the iTunes disk. Now iTunes says it detects it as "In recovery mode" and says to restore it. But once im nearing the end of the restore process it says it could not restore.

In the end, I will leave you guys with these questions:

1) What am I doing wrong when trying to jail break my 2.2.1 iTouch first gen in QuickPWN?

(And more importantly)

2) How do I recover my iTouch if it says it cannot recover? I have tried to recover it many times. (and yes I have tried to enter DFU mode but ever i do somewhere during the process...my computer gets a pop up saying the device connected to the usb had malfunctioned)

This was probably way to lengthy and whiny for my first post and I really do apologize for that but im getting a bit frustrated with my iTouch and I really dont know where to turn at this point... :\

Thanks in advance!

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. fear_2670

fear_2670 Banned

Just DFU correctly(make sure screen is always black during the process) and restore to the 2.2.1 firmware, THEN jailbreak it.

If that doesn't work, try restoring to the 1.1.5 firmware, updating, then jailbreaking.
  3. Evan711

Evan711 New Member

heh idk what im doing wrong when trying to get into DFU mode in the first place though..:\
  4. fear_2670

fear_2670 Banned

For starters, do you even know how to DFU?

If not, here's how:

1. Plug iPod in.
    2. Hold home and power button for ten seconds.
    3. Let go of power button but keep holding home button until iPod shows in recovery mode.
    NOTE: Make sure the iPod is always in a black screen all through out the DFU process.

When in DFU, shift-click restore and select the 2.2.1 firmware, once restored, you can jailbreak if you want using QuickPwn/Pwnagetool.
  5. steve19137

steve19137 New Member

you can watch a youtube vid on how to do it. though im sure youve had enough youtube for a while. lol

this is the vid i used when i had a similar problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiTcKMZfyfk

so ya, use that video

EDIT: btw, do it w/ the vid. that will make things easier
  6. Evan711

Evan711 New Member

Well yeah, but I suppose that's where part of the problem may lie. When I plug in my iPod it shows the cord pointing to the iTunes disc, so ill hold in the buttons for 10 seconds, after about 5 or 6 it ill get a pop up saying device recognized and on iTunes a window will show up that says, waiting for ipod with a loading bar fully loaded at first but then it begins searching again and it will do this forever until I hold in both buttons again to bring up the screen with the itunes disc on it.

Edit: I just realized this case is somewhat different, maybe im already in DFU mode? Because on iTunes it automatically says it detected and iPod in recovery mode and i have to restore it every time i connect it. But im not really sure. I also dont know if that method of entering DFU mode will work for me because I cant turn my ipod on to the main menu any ways. I can only turn it on to the screen with the itunes disc. and if i hold in those two buttons from there, it just restarts and i get the apple boot logo then i get the itunes disc screen.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    should i have this already on my computer because i dont.. is it okay if i download it from quickpwn.com?
    Okay, is it possible that the problem could be iTunes because my iTunes gets stuck saying "Waiting for iPod..." Then it says it an iPod has been connected, but it cannot be identified... then it says error 1601...
    anyone? ...:[
  7. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    If you had 2.2.1 on your iPod, then it is on your computer somewhere. I do not know for PCs, but on my Mac it is in Username/Library/iTunes/iPod Software Updates