Heat problems

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Chriswells1993, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Chriswells1993

Chriswells1993 New Member

Today when trying to SSH into my iTouch I picked it up and it was unnaturally hot around the spot the there 16gb engraving is on the back of the ipod. Ive gone through the situation in my head trying to cancel out exterior factors, leading me to conclude it is the ipod
    -It's winter
    -It's in the shade of my laptop screen
    -The thermometer in the room says 15 degrees celcius
    -The ipod is not in a case or with a film protector

any ideas on weather this is a problem or am I just being paranoid about a small thing here

Thanks
    Chris
  2. darksheep

darksheep New Member

I have had the same thing with my 8gb ipod , tried the same tests you did
  3. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Been some discussion on this - when you're using active applications (like YouTube or NES), it not only uses the battery up faster, but it does seem to warm up more than normal. Was your iPod Touch plugged in at the time via USB? If so, the charging also causes it to heat up. Seems to be fairly normal to get warm - if it's getting really hot, just take it to an Apple store and get it exchanged...
  4. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    All of those are factors, and you said you felt the most heat where you have an engraving. I assume that is because the surface has been altered in such a way, but that is not a cause of the heat.
  5. Chriswells1993

It was on the spot where the 16gb engraving is and on the bottom right side
  6. makaveldon04i

makaveldon04i New Member

was it just warm....or like really hot,like laptops tend to get really hot after a while of usage if you do a bunch of crap on it...if your ipod was warm,then youre paranoid since ipods warm up after usage...if it gets really hot,turn it off and then dont use it for a few hours...if it heats up and gets pretty hott,i suggest factory restoring it and returning it
  7. iberras

iberras New Member

i have another theory...if you are using yor ipod touch when plugged its getts mucho, much warmer when disconnected. When im using wifi with the ipod connected it gets very hot so i put it on the refigerator

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. Chriswells1993

It was hotter than my macbook which had been running for about 4 days so pretty hot, but I restored the ipod for different reasons and the problem has completely gone..
    odd but im not complaining about it.
    When I said warm I ment that the place I put it on my bed was still very hot after 5 minutes
  9. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    this happens t mine when i am using it with WinSCP (SSHing) alot, or a big file. btw 15 celcius wow thats cold for inside. my house is ussually 20-22.
  10. AutoItKing

AutoItKing New Member

Just like your laptop, an iPod contains a processor, which can heat up during harsh use, like running an emulator or iPhysics. It also eats your battery.