Heat and battery

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Aestysu, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Aestysu

Aestysu Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Well i just got an ipod touch 2g(a display model one so yeh) and after about 2hours of it just being on and browsing the net and maby a few apps(not hardcore graphic ones) the battery seems to go down to about 1/2-3/4 is that normal?
    also after playing touchgrind or other things for about 15-20mins the back of the touch gets pretty hot. like very warm not hot hot just pretty warm. is that normal aswell?

im curious about all these because the other ipods (nanos etc) dont get hot at all or anything. is this normal with the touches because of the apps and everything?

edit - ive charged in in 1day from half to full then now its down to 20%. is the battery drained as its been a display model for however long it was? or are they all like this? should i replace it with a brand new one.
  2. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Check the 'Battery' link in my sig for some pointers on how to get the most out of your battery.

Note that Li-Ion batterys start to lose capacity as soon as they are manufactured and will lose ~20% energy capacity after ~400 charge cycles. If your device has been in a hot part of the shop and on constantly it is likely that the battery is not in great condition... Try following the pointers and see if it gets any better.

As an example to benchmark against: my device is fully charged when I go to bed and shows 100 on the numerical battery - everything is off (WiFi, SSH, Location Services etc.) except Edge and a few light jailbreak apps running in the background (Winterboard, inactive ******* prog etc.). I read a few comics and surf the net for 10 mins in bed and when I get up in the morning 7 hours later the numerical charge is above 90 still - so a 10% decline which would probably register 1/4 drain on a normal battery meter. Bear in mind my battery isn't well conditioned and the 'full charge' I mentioned probably isn't really full charged (more like fast charged plus a bit more). But it's a good benchmark. If you are getting something substantially worse, e.g. half charge or less then I would try and get your device or battery swapped asap before the guarantee runs out.

Your device can get hot if you are charging and using or if you are running games that lean hard on the processor. If you have a cover on it take it off if it starts to get warm. It should never be too hot to touch though.
  3. Aestysu

Aestysu Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    well it gets to about half after 2hours. ill just return it. get a brand new one see how that goes.
  4. jlgm25

jlgm25 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Yep. Touchgrind eats up a lot of memory and causing the processor to heat up that leads to battery drainage. Try playing TTR for an hour and You will know what I mean.

The higher the processor process memory, the faster your battery dies.
  5. Aestysu

Aestysu Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    what about when its charging? why does the back get so hot? none of the other ipods get hot.
    anyway ill go get a new one and if they say no ill just use this one.
  6. rebirth89

rebirth89 New Member

my battery heats up theres a 1 year warenty though so if it brakes/over heats jsut bring it back t othe store
  7. FallingBalloon

FallingBalloon New Member

mine gets VERY hot while charging. I don't know if it's worth returning it, though.
  8. B2TheEYo

B2TheEYo New Member

I noticed the unusual 'heat' myself too.

Though I'm not alarmed as much as I maybe should.

Remember it's REALLY tight in there (no doubt the battery is literally laying on the metal back plate, with shielding of course). And the processor generates a decent amount of heat too and with your hands over it I imagine it can contribute to the heat build up.

Maybe ask someone at an Apple store as they'd be able to tell you right out if it's an issue or not.

I suspect it's normal considering it's size, power and lack of ventilation (I don't even see Apple laptops with ventilation ducts - not that I can remember).
  9. MarcoPwnZ

MarcoPwnZ New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    mine doesnt go super hot cuz i charge it for 3 hrs... if u charge it more it'll lose its capacity prob... i heard 2-3 hrs of charge time is good enough or even more... but it seems like it charges rly quick for me lol... i plug it in my comp and go on youtube for like an hr and den i get bored and play on my ipod touch... and 2 hrs later i barely notice it only drained a lil... soo ya u dont have to charge it over night for 12hrs
  10. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It may get hot while charging. It shouldn't ever get too hot to touch though. Make sure you remove any cover/skin while charging to ensure proper heat dissipation to avoid any heat damage to the battery.