Headphones w/Mic for Touch-Oct!

Discussion in 'September 9th, 2008 Event Discussions' started by suedehead, Sep 9, 2008.

1. suedehead

suedehead New Member

Jobs said that the new headphones coming out in October would work with the Touch. Bloggers are supposing that the inline microphone on the headphones will work with the Touch as well. The mic triggers voice record apps. If this is true, it solves so many of my problems and frustrations with the Touch. I can not only voice record, but probably (soon enough) record all kinds of audio--and finally--use the Touch as a VOIP machine. It took a whole year but it looks like the wait is over for a vocal Touch.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Of course, the question is: do the new headphones work with the OLD Touch G1? Has Apple reconfigured the Touch to add audio in? We know that TG1 has active audio in, because people have made mics for it that work. But is it the same configuration or is it compatible with the new headphones? Only the tear-down will tell.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    The other possibility is that 2.1 provides a FIRMWARE fix that makes the audio in functional and compatible with the new mic/headphones. Let's hope--cross your fingers.
  2. suedehead

suedehead New Member

lInline mic recording is Tg2 only. There is audio in thru the dock connector on Tg1, but then you have to use Touchmod's mic and their recording software. I had line inrecording on my old iPod 4G, but clipping was a constant problem and recording quality was poor. For music applications, I would prefer recording thru dock. But for voice, VOIP and podcasting, the line in mic is very convenient. I plan to get a Tg2 and use both recording methods.
  3. kolko

kolko New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Why doesn't apple just release a dock-connector Mic?
  4. Shadowriver

Shadowriver Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    SPU don't support mic-in in 1G, also because of wifi in upper part you can't use it as headphone, it's not healthy for your head

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. suedehead

suedehead New Member

I just read that Plum Record will recieve and record audio thru a dock microhone, eg. Touchmod's mic. Plum Record is currently available on App Store. Touchmod's recording software is not available on App store yet but they're working on it.
  6. JBIRD1111

JBIRD1111 New Member

7. JJRocker

JJRocker New Member

The 2G touch has a 4 connector headphone jack as opposed to the 3 connector jack on the 1G. The 4th connector is for mic input and can also double as volume control and track skipping. Therefore, the headphones will work fine for audio, but the inline controls will not work. Theoretically, these functions could be added to a set of headphones for the 1G but they would have to plug in via the dock connector.