Headphones as a mic

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Mo11er, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Mo11er

Mo11er New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hey guys, I've been very upset about Apple giving us a Voice memos app on iTouch. Because as long as I don't have mic I cannot record. But some very strange thing turned up, when I pluged my friend's Koss Porta Pro headphones ti my iTouch they worked as a mic (a very good mic). And so I ask, why can these be used for a mic, and my Sehnheisser headphones can not. Both have the same connector (my just have it golden). Oh and these Koss headphones DO NOT have mic. So tell me forum, what am I missing? And one last thing, is there any app or mod on Cydia which can turn my headphones output into a microphone input? That would be cool and it is not technicaly impossible, so that's it. Leave some of your comments, try it for yourself whatever. I am really confused right now

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Jomunga

Jomunga New Member

Its not that confusing really. Mic = headphones. Headphones = mic. Reason: Electricity from the headphone jack makes the cone vibrate via compression and expansion by the magnet inside (voice coil is like a electromagnet), making vibrations. Vibrations = noise. Works vice versa. Your voice can move the cone, moving the magnet, making electricity. Can't feel it, cause its super weak. All headphones work as mics. Some better than others. in ear > over the ear > noise canceling

Could of got some parts wrong, but thats tthe gist of it.

When you get OS 3.0, you get some voice recorder app. The headphone jack IS the mic jack (works 2g for itouch, cause it has 4 pins for headphone jack. Idk for 1g )
  3. ForeverPimpin

ForeverPimpin New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Nope just buy iphone headphones, there 20 bucks at local walmart and they have hand controls and a mic. Your friends probably have a built in mic is why.
  4. TooGoodAtCOD4

TooGoodAtCOD4 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    yeah, I believe he's asking not "why are THE headphones able to become a mic," but "why are his FRIEND'S headphones able to be a mic and his are not". Sorry don't know you're answer.

5. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Because your friend has heaphones that were designed to work as microphones.

If you used a BlackBerry headset (earphones plus small microphone a little down the wire), it works.

You cant turn headphones into a mic unless you had a LOT of time on your hands.

Just buy any earphone plus mic headset at any store, plug it in, then you can have headphones plus a mic, dont waste your time with earphone mics.
  6. ben

ben Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    False.

Some headphones can accept the input of sound as well as give output. You don't have to have a lot of time on your hands an you don't have to hack them. Some headphones work, some do not. His friend's headphones probably didn't actually have a dedicated mic.
  7. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Sorry chief, didn't realize I was dealing with the "headphone guru"...
  8. ICanHaziPod

ICanHaziPod New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Don't the headphones just need the third ring and they work?
  9. ForeverPimpin

ForeverPimpin New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I believe so, i just read the box or package to see if it has it or not.

10. Duykur

Duykur Banned

as was already said, headphones = microphones