Head Units? Car Mounts? Suggestions please

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Mustachio, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Mustachio

Mustachio New Member

I have done a little searching around the forum, but I still wanted to ask. I am interested in getting a new head unit for my car to attach the ipod to. Currently, I use an FM transmitter, and it SUCKS, its such a hassle to try and get a good station, keep it in, etc etc.

So I have looked around and have a basic question about head units. Is it better to go with one that has an Aux input and use the headphone jack, or go with one that has the ipod connector with controls and everything right on the head unit?

I was looking for something cheap and saw the Alpine CDE-9870 but havent been able to find any more information about it regarding compatibility with the ipod touch. So any suggestions for head units or recommendations as to whether to look for just one with an aux input or the ipod connector would be appreciated.

Secondly, I want a car mount for the ipod so it isnt sliding all around my car, possibly a dash mount or anything similar. I just need one that is open at the bottom for both the ipod dock connector and the headphone jack. Any recommendations on this?
  2. Mustachio

Mustachio New Member

Sorry to have to bump this... but anyone have any ideas??
  3. Kh3ldar

Kh3ldar New Member

Just my personnal opinions here so feel free to ignore

Please Register or Log in to view images

)

iPod connector is infinitely better than aux input. If you know the head unit layout you can flick around tracks without looking compared to trying to control the touch whilst driving the car.

JVC - NOT compatible, (PDR30, PDR51) I know as I got one a month before I got my touch and now I'm trying to ebay it

Alpine - seems to be hit and miss. I tried a 9870 and it wouldnt detect the iPod. Others have stated they work though.
    Pioneer - the DEH models (recent ones) with the CD-I200 connector seem to have no problems whatsoever. I have tried three models and all worked fine. Just ebayed myself a 6900IB.

As to in car holder, could be a bit hit and miss. Some of the generic 5th gen holders might be adjustable enough but I dont know for sure.
  4. jPod

jPod New Member

You might want to give these guys a try.

http://ram-mount.com/

They have almost any variation of car-bike-boat mounts imaginable as well as mix and match holders. They have a custom iPhone holder. I talked to a rep and he said that they are working on a iPod Touch specific one.

I have the suction cup stem attached to my windshild with the Griffin auto pilot with an AUX input. The auto pilot has basic play/pause, FF/Rew controls. I would rather control through the ipod that a car deck.
  5. dudeman

dudeman New Member

Buy a Scion! That's what I did.

&E;
  6. monaural

monaural New Member

I have an alpine 9857. Works perfectly with my iPod. Also the new pioneer premier 490ib, 590ib, and 690ub all come with an iPod cable, where as the non-premier don't (those with a model number in the thousands. The
    690ub's interface is fast, as fast as my alpine searching through songs, and with a better interface.
    I think I am going to set up a dock, with audio out through the aux in, so I can have the iPod out where I can see it. Otherwise I wouldn't use a holder, just throw the cable into the glove box.
  7. Thackmills

Thackmills New Member

Check out www.breffo.com. I ended up buying a spiderpodium as a car mount after looking around a bunch and it is awsome cuz you can put your phone pretty much anywhere and the take the thing out with no effort and stick it in anotherbcar. This is great as my wifer drives too and we share cars.

Has a hole in middle, perefect for the ipod charging cable

Head unit wize no in sightbs as my honda radio had the aux conntect.