HD Video Output?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Reddkryten, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Reddkryten

Reddkryten New Member

Hi there, long time lurker first time poster.

I was just wondering, is the new iPod Touch capable of playing and outputting high definition video?

About a month ago I was in the apple store and a staff member there told me that yes the touch can handle HD video (although it doesn't really show up on the tiny screen.) But today after the 3G was announced I checked out the specs and found it was only capable of 576p, far less than HD resolution.

I goggled around and found a lot of people saying that the Touch is unofficially capable of playing HD http://gizmodo.com/5045466/the-iphone-handles-1080p-video-just-fine but not a word about outputting it to a TV.

So, does anyone know? I edit a lot of videos and I use my current MP3 player (well did, it broke a month ago) to preview them on a larger screen. The ability to preview them in HD would be a very nice bonus.

So does anyone know?

Thanks
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Sorry to bump this tread up, it's just with the board lit up with camera posts I was worried about this question getting pushed to the back (in retrospect, not a great idea to post this right after the "big event").

So, anyone?
  2. skrbicdu

skrbicdu New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ipod touch hd output

well acualy with hardware configuration ipod touch 2g is more capable of playing 720p resolution. but if that ever happends with some firmware update it will be only for hd tv out with some universal dock wich will have some cpu wich will help ipod to play hd resolution. but that is only for hd tv out, you don't need hd resolution on 480x320 screen.
  3. HankG

HankG New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    How big would your average 1080p movie file be? Wouldn't storing HD movies on an Ipod Touch just take up way too much space to be reasonable?
  4. S7R1K34RC3

S7R1K34RC3 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    i have 64 mother freakin gigs i can do whatever the hell i want xD

but seriously, i know some of my friends are hd freaks, and now that they know their new ipods can playback 720, theyre gonna jump on it right away. all in all, its a nice thing to know, do it if you want.
  5. xinzhitan14

xinzhitan14 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    1080p movies can range from 6GB to 13GB depending on the movie length and bitrate.
    720p can range from 2.2GB (for animated movies) to around 8GB also depending on length and bitrate.

I agree it wouldnt be practical to store such a big thing on such a small device, but it would be handy if you wanted to output HD tv shows or whatever. Now that youtube is doing HD 720p videos, it would be handy to output these to TV's etc.

that is correct, but you do realise the OP was asking for outputting HD. Of course we wouldnt be able to tell much difference on such a small screen with a low DPI.
  6. ryanangus

ryanangus Active Member

I'm hoping for HD output too, currently my nice videos look like stretched YouTube videos on 42"