Having problems viewing pdfs in PDFViewer and 1.1.3.

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by essexmate, Jan 27, 2008.

1. essexmate

essexmate New Member

I've installed PDFViewer with 1.1.3. and added the PDF folder at var/root/Media/PDF but I cannot see the pdfs installed in that folder?

Is anyone else having problems with PDFViewer?
  2. essexmate

essexmate New Member

Anyone else having problem with PDFViewer?
  3. Frappacino

Frappacino New Member

I have the same issues as well... its really frustrating especially you have spent over 2 hrs trying to figure out what' wrong with it, restarting my touch and even my com. Does anyone know the solution??! argh.
  4. Frappacino

Frappacino New Member

I have my IpoT in 1.1.2 JB and installed PDF viewer. I can open the PDF file and read on my IpoT. However, when I play music and open the app, the music simply gets cut off automatically. Besides that, sometimes the app closes on its own! Does anyone know how to solve the issue? Any help is much appreciated.
  5. DaveiPhone

DaveiPhone New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    That's the wrong path on 1.1.3. The correct path is:

/var/mobile/Media/PDF/

The best and simplest solution for a huge number of 1.1.3 issues, is to create a symlink going from the old path (/var/root/Media/) to the new one. Then, it doesn't matter which place the application looks for the files. Also give the mobile/Media folder 777 privs.
  6. gfer66

gfer66 New Member

Doesn't work for me

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. mchomicz

mchomicz New Member

I have the same problem as gfer66: putting PDF files in /var/mobile/Media/PDF/ results in no PDF files showing up in PDFViewer (regardless of permissions). I'm on 1.1.3 and using PDFViewer 0.0.3.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Please note that /var is a symlink to /private/var. I did not create the simlink - so I assume either one of the apps I used in order to get jailbroken 1.1.3 installed must have done it. Though my [somewhat limited] familiarity with UNIX/Linux suggests that this should not matter as far as PDFViewer (or any other app) is concerned...

Thank you,
    Michael
  8. dordoka

dordoka New Member

Proper Directory

Hi all

had same problem, fixed it.

The quick answer: go to /var/root and create a directory there called Media. Then cd to Media and create another directory called PDF. Copy your PDF files to /var/root/Media/PDF and launch PDFViewer, files should be listed now.

Long answer: previous posts are right about now directory being now /var/mobile/Media/ that's because firmware 1.1.3 created new user mobile and now most of services run under that user, not root, which in fact is cool in terms of security.

PDFViewer just assumes the only "home" directory is still /var/root so it still looks for files in there.

Guess it will get fixed in next release... though we might have to wait for the SDK to be released and mastered by soft developers, cause everyone seem to be waiting for it.

Hope this helps

9. Makki

Makki New Member

var/root/media/pdf works fine for me i was just flipping through Macworld latest edition.

10. asilentthing

asilentthing New Member

strange. In my /var/root directory I have a Media file (not folder) that shows up that is 256kb - that makes me think there's something there. Is that important?

In Cyberduck I can't create a folder with the same name as that generic file. Any ideas?