Having problems buidling the Toolchain in Leopard

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by celebi23, Jan 12, 2008.

1. celebi23

celebi23 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I tried the instructions listed in this topic http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22493 on how to build the Toolchain in Leopard. I'm running Leopard on a MBP. Everytime I get to the "./configure --enable-optimized" stage for LLVM SVN, I get this message:

"checking build system type... i686-apple-darwin9.1.0
    checking host system type... i686-apple-darwin9.1.0
    checking target system type... i686-apple-darwin9.1.0
    checking type of operating system we're going to host on... Darwin
    checking target architecture... x86
    checking for gcc... gcc
    checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
    See `config.log' for more details. "

Even if I get everything else set up, I always have errors trying to compile the HelloWorld app. I think that something is off with this stage & Leopard. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Please Register or Log in to view images

(Crap, could I get a title change to 'Having problems building the Toolchain in Leopard' ? Just saw the mistake just as it was posted)
  2. seventoes

seventoes New Member

I'm having the same problem, apparently its a problem with xcode's installation of gcc, reinstalling the dev tools should fix it. I havent gotten around to it yet, if you get to it first tell me how it works.
  3. hockeycraze12000

hockeycraze12000 New Member

just reinstall the dev tools
  4. celebi23

celebi23 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Ok, I'll reinstall the Dev Tools. Does it matter that I'm using the xcode_3.0.dmg file from Apple's Dev site? That's what I used to installed the Dev Tools before. Turns out I left my Leopard disc back at my dorm @ school & I'm on winter break for a bit & can't go back & get it now.
  5. celebi23

celebi23 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Ok, got the Toolchain built, I think. I followed the instructions from http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22493 to a T. Came up with 2 errors though. 1 being at the end of the Toolchain building process
    Code:
    /usr/local/bin/arm-apple-darwin-ld: can't open: non-weak (No such file or directory, errno = 2)
    /usr/local/bin/arm-apple-darwin-ld: can't locate file for: -lc
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make[2]: *** [libgcc_s.dylib] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [stmp-multilib] Error 2
    make: *** [install-gcc] Error 2

The second being when I tried to compile the HelloWorld app, from the HelloWorldSrc-0_30.zip file

Code:
    (my name removed)s-MacBook-Pro-15:HelloWorld (my name removed)$ make
    /usr/local/bin/arm-apple-darwin-gcc -v -framework CoreFoundation -framework Foundation -framework UIKit -framework LayerKit -framework CoreGraphics -framework GraphicsServices -framework CoreSurface -lobjc -o Hello hello.o HelloApplication.o
    Using built-in specs.
    Target: arm-apple-darwin
    Configured with: ../../llvm-gcc-4.0-iphone/configure --enable-llvm=/Users/alexbrofsky/llvm-svn --enable-languages=c,c++,objc,obj-c++ --target=arm-apple-darwin --enable-sjlj-exceptions --with-heavenly=/usr/local/share/iphone-filesystem --with-as=/usr/local/bin/arm-apple-darwin-as --with-ld=/usr/local/bin/arm-apple-darwin-ld
    Thread model: posix
    gcc version 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5449)(LLVM build 2.0-svn-iphone-dev-0.3-svn)
     /usr/local/libexec/gcc/arm-apple-darwin/4.0.1/collect2 -dynamic -arch arm -macosx_version_min 10.5.1 -syslibroot /usr/local/share/iphone-filesystem -weak_reference_mismatches non-weak -o Hello -lcrt1.10.5.o -L/usr/local/lib/gcc/arm-apple-darwin/4.0.1 -L/usr/local/lib/gcc/arm-apple-darwin/4.0.1/../../../../arm-apple-darwin/lib -L/usr/local/lib/gcc/arm-apple-darwin/4.0.1/../../.. -framework CoreFoundation -framework Foundation -framework UIKit -framework LayerKit -framework CoreGraphics -framework GraphicsServices -framework CoreSurface -lobjc hello.o HelloApplication.o -lgcc_s.10.5 -lgcc -lSystem
    /usr/local/bin/arm-apple-darwin-ld: warning unknown -macosx_version_min parameter value: 10.5.1 ignored (using 10.1)
    /usr/local/bin/arm-apple-darwin-ld: can't locate file for: -lgcc_s.10.5
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make: *** [Hello] Error 1
    (my name removed)s-MacBook-Pro-15:HelloWorld (my name removed)$ 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Not sure what went wrong
  6. damhack

damhack New Member

Hi,

HelloWorld won't compile because your toolchain didn't compile properly.

Your toolchain didn't compile possibly because of Step 13 problem with the configure line:

a. make sure $HEAVENLY is definitely set to the location of the decrypted iPhone filesystem

b. the quotes around llvm-config are backquotes, not single quotes or apostrophes (also check same for Step 5.)

Best to clean up and recompile the toolchain.
  7. celebi23

celebi23 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks. I copied everything word-for-word from the iphone_leopard_toolchain_howto.rtf document but, maybe I did miss the $HEAVENLY command. I'll try it again.
  8. curthard89

curthard89 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    i installed it all, how to i make xcode point to the right files etc? hmm

9. damhack

damhack New Member

10. celebi23

celebi23 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Crap, not sure what's going wrong. Here's the complete Terminal output of the installing/building of the Toolchain. I removed any instance of my name for safety reasons/ general paranoia

Any example of my name was replaced with "(my name removed)".

http://groups.google.com/group/iOffice/web/Toolchain install final.txt

And here's the full Terminal output when I tried to compile & build the HelloWorld app

http://groups.google.com/group/iOffice/web/HelloWorld compiling.txt

I've read & reread those files in conjunction with the original instruction .rtf file you made & can't seem to figure out what I did wrong

This is the 3rd time I've tried builing the Toolchain & I keep getting the same results. Dam, if you could make sense of the output files & pinpoint where I'm making the error, that'd be amazing.