Having prob installing/updating iTunes? solution here

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by evilhomura89, Feb 4, 2009.

1. evilhomura89

evilhomura89 New Member

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    SOLUTION AS FOLLOWS:

NOTE: As always back up your system restore point and make a
    copy of the registry or the sections of the registry
    you are editing!!!

You need permissions set to the following registry paths under

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\itms\shell\open\command
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\itmss\shell\open\command
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\itpc\shell\open\command

You may not see these as you reset permissions and have to go as far as adding a new key under each registry key, then it will show you your newly added key (just delete) and then set the appropriate permissions to administrators group on each until you get down to the "command" key.

Then once you are in the command key edit the following string that should show

C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe /url "%1"

and change it to...

"C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe" /url "%1"

yes I know, ridiculous that it is a matter of quotes missing, but that is what fixed it for me.

From http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=5598778

Editing the permission in one shot.
    http://f0vela.wordpress.com/2008/07/22/fix...dating-problem/
    after the permission edit, then go edit the missing quote...

all the affected protocol where the quotes are missing
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\itms\shell\open\command
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\itmss\shell\open\command
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\itpc\shell\open\command
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\daap\shell\open\command
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\pcast\shell\open\command
  2. displacednaija

displacednaija New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Slightly different twist to my installation problem

Since the thread title is meant to address iTunes installation perhaps I can piggy back on it. My own itunes installation problem is kinda different. It seems to be stalling on the IPOD Service.

1) At the point in the installation where it tries to start services, I get an error message saying that IPOD Service did not start. Ensure you have enough permissions.

2) I have done this using administrator account and even turned off Vista UAC all to no avail.

3) I have also uninstalled with Windows install clean up like for the 20th time.

4) Even when I do a clean uninstall and delete every trace of files and folders in other parts of the C:\ I stll find that IPOD service is listed and stopped. How is that possible?

5) Any time I attempt to start IPOD service in task manager I get an error message saying Windows could not start the IPOD Service on Local Computer Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.

6) There are only two options available when it stalls in no.4 above ie. either to retry or to cancel. When you cancel it rolls back the installation.

7) When I went to C:\Program Files folder there was no IPOD\bin folder and hence no IPOD Service folder.

8) Yesterday I decided to circumvent the installation procedure by opening folder rather than opening the file. I was able to save a few IPOD and ITunes files which would not have been possible if I had selected cancel because when rolling back it deletes most of the vital folders and files.

9) When I click on the Ipod service icon at this stage, nothing still happens. Also when I click on Itunes icon at this stage I get an error message saying some vital files are missing please reinstall.

Is there a registry hack to resolve this issue? I am convinced that it is the only way to get me out of the doldrums. I must also mention that I have Vista service pack 1 intalled.