Have you jailbroken your iDevice? Please read this.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Fike, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Fike

Fike Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    What you should do:

1. Change the default SSH password
    This is the most important thing you need to do. If you don't change your SSH (Secure Shell) root password, you are open to viruses and worms.

How-To:
    Open Cydia and search for "MobileTerminal". Install MobileTerminal and restart your device. Open the Terminal app on your device. Type in:
    Code:
    su root
    and click return. It will now ask you for a password. Type in:
    Code:
    alpine
    and click return.
    Now, type:
    Code:
    passwd
    and it will ask you to type in a new password. Type it in, click return, and type it in again.

2. Install openSSH
    By installing openSSH on your device, you can save yourself from a lot of problems that may happen in the future such as forgetting your passcode (If you have forget your passcode, please look at my tutorial here!). openSSH allows you to alter the entire iOS filesystem on your device from your computer via WiFi.

How-To:
    Open Cydia, and search for "openssh". Install it and reboot your device. You can now access your devices filesystem. This will greatly help you diagnose and solve problems remotely.

What you should NOT do:

1. Upgrade firmware
    When you are jailbroken, don't upgrade your firmware until the dev-team/whoever made the jailbreak you used say it's OK. If you really want to upgrade, do a DFU restore.

2. Send you device to Apple to fix it
    Once you jailbreak, it voids your warranty. Unless you DFU restore your device, Apple will not fix it for you. If you have a jailbreak issue, ask here at Multi Touch Fans or restore your device.

Update: ShizerMonkey has said that openSSH messes with location services. Although I have not experienced this problem before, here is what you can try:

Open Cydia, search and install SBsettings. When you swipe on the statusbar, you have the option of turning off SSH as well as WiFi and other things.
  2. Psoul

Psoul Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Uh..is this thread about sshing?
  3. Fike

Fike Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    no... I'll be adding to it...
  4. ShizerMonkey

ShizerMonkey Banned

Device:
    iPad
    But if you install OPenSSH it messes with your location services, so what I do is install Ifile !..
  5. Fike

Fike Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    openssh isn't the same as iFile. and i can't remember any issues with location services. I'll add this to it anyway...
  6. HeadReaper

HeadReaper Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    I use diskaid for ssh.