Have you gotten Gmail IMAP to work?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by jack963, Oct 25, 2007.

1. jack963

jack963 New Member

Hey,

I'm trying to set up Gmail using IMAP on my touch, and it's not working. I enter the information as Google's tutorial tells me to, and when I click Save, it tells me it cannot connect with SSL. It then asks me if I want to retry without SSL. Is there any harm in clicking yes? Also, any idea why this would happen?I hope there's not some small difference between the touch and the iPhone that would prevent this from working! Thanks for the help!
  2. floydfix

floydfix New Member

gmail IMAP works GREAT on the iPod touch! I set up just like in the tutorial. Click other, select IMAP... Put IMAP.gmail.com your usrname is user@gmail.com... SMTP.gmail.com your username the same. Then it should go right through WITH SSL! If it asks if it is ok not to use SSL say NO!
    good luck and thanks to Gmail! I love my iPod touch!

Gotta relock my iPod then...
    Off to the genius bar to get my headphone jack fixed!
    see you guys soon! Coming back from the dead soon hopefully!
  3. jack963

jack963 New Member

Thanks for the response. You didn't mention entering your password in the two places it asks for your password. It's necessary to put it in both places, right? Also, I don't have the option on my Gmail Settings page (on the web) to enable IMAP, only POP. Do you have an option on the settings page that is specifically for IMAP? Thanks!
  4. ludwigmace

ludwigmace New Member

As for the gmail setting for IMAP, give it time. It's still rolling out so if you don't have it today you may tomorrow, or even next week.
  5. jack963

jack963 New Member

But to clarify, you do have the setting available on your settings page?

EDIT: Sorry, ludwig, I thought you were the original respondent to my post. Floyd, does the IMAP option appear on your Gmail settings page? Thanks!
  6. Glisern

Glisern New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I have been hearing about people activating IMAP trough the settings page on gmail. But when i go there on my account, there is no IMAP option
  7. jmaluso

jmaluso New Member

They are rolling it out randomly to users it seems. I got the feature on mine right away but a friend still hasn't yet. It is working perfectly on my Touch as well...
  8. Ol!ver

Ol!ver New Member

I'm struggling to see the advantages of this over pop. THere must be some as everyone's going mad over it. Think I'm just being a bit dense today.

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. laffayet

laffayet New Member

Gmail- there is something wrong

Hey guy,
    I just set up my gmailaccount with mail.app
    BUT Mostly I just recieved my send email. It didn't do anything about the settings, I just entered my data.
    Hopefully anyone can help me with that problem, it's quite confusing.
    Thanks,
    laffayet
  10. kevio

kevio New Member

With IMAP your mail is synced. So any changes you make on your iPhone/iPod affect messages on the server. Delete something on your Pod and it deletes it off the server and vice versa. Before I set up the IMAP I had to delete stuff on my iPod and then go delete them off my gmail on a computer.