Have RiPDev Finally gotten their Acts together?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Matt Donnelly, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Matt Donnelly

Matt Donnelly New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    For a long time now, RiPDev have a been releasing crap product after crap product, but it seems like they're finally getting their acts together.

First a bit of background info...
    I dont know if all of you were jailbreaking iPods when it was on the 1.1.X firmwares, but at the time Installer was made by AppTapp (who did a seriously good job) and was then sold later on to RiPDev who have been working on it ever since, which i'm sure you all know. RiPDev started off great and made Installer a lot stabler than it was before, but not long after they bought in Installer firmware 2.0 was released which meant that we all had to start over on a clean sheet, it was new ground and everyone needed to get a hang of working with the new firmware, but because of this it meant that we could no longer use Installer and had to use Cydia, which a lot of people got very angry about. It took a lot of time for everyone to get used to using Cydia and an even longer time for RiPDev to release Installer 4.0.

RiPDev's role in the future?
    RiPDev seemed to go down hill from here, but, I always really liked Installer from the start despite it being totally unstable just because when using Installer you get the sense that it was built especially made for the iPhone while Cydia feels like it is just a port of APT which is essentially what it is, but dont get me wrong, I think Cydia and all of Saurik's Applications are fantastic. If you ask me, Installer is now pretty much as good as Cydia. It's just as fast as Cydia, just a stable, it looks better and is just as easy to use, the only thing is that you cant use it to buy things like with the Cydia Store. A little while back RiPDev unveiled Installer App, a desktop application installer for Mac, which has a lot of issues at the moment BUT is a seriously good idea! If they could make it work well it would incredible. In even more recent news, RiPDev released Icy which is also really really good which looking at forums, posts people would agree with me on, and is getting even better fast, so if you think about it RiPDev have really put the effort in to releasing some good stuff! So how long will it be until we are all switching back to using Installer? Yes, it sounds unlikely but if you were to have told someone back on 1.1.4 that everyone would be using Cydia (which was available back, but kinda crap) they would laugh at you!

So what do you all think? Are RiPDev starting to get the hang of things?
  2. jamil_d

jamil_d Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I was thinking a similar thing. RiPDev, despite their "ripping off" developers of their money with Icy, seems to be doing better. I do not like their habit of charging for good applications, and releasing horrible ones instead, but you can't have everything.

I do not like Installer 4. As a matter of fact, I hate it. There is no worse package manager than installer at the current moment. Installer 3 is the best package manager, hands down, without any argument. Hopefully RiPDev will pull their act together with Installer 5, which is set for release apparently in the next few months.

Nullriver/AppTapp did a much better job of handling Installer 3.0.

So yes, and no. RiPDev may be coming out of the dark, but it's too early to see until Installer 5 comes out.
  3. jfb392

jfb392 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I'm pretty sure you're misinformed about them "ripping off" developers.
    They worked with major repository owners and came to the conclusion that adding a button for "More Info" would be fine, instead of embedding advertisements directly in the package detail and slowing down the program.
  4. jamil_d

jamil_d Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    In the words of studangerous on twitter.

5. jfb392

jfb392 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    No.
    In Icy, you look at the package and see if it sounds appealing.
    If you want a preview, you look at "More Info" and you see the advertisements.
    Rather than seeing advertisements all of the time, you only see them when you want to preview the package.
    This is much like your television analogy also (you can simply hit the "Info" button on your TV to see if the description of the show is appealing, and if you watch it, you see advertisements).
  6. that one guy

that one guy New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    installer is crap. just saying