Have I lost all my songs???

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by motta187, Feb 16, 2008.

1. motta187

motta187 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Okay I just got a new computer and was wondering once /i redl itunes n hook up my itouch will all my songs be gone.Or once I log into I tunes it wud have alll my songs in the library still.Thanks for any help.
  2. SUPERBXD

SUPERBXD Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    dont you have the .mp3 files on your computer ? yes you can backup your whole itunes library use the search button , because there are some threads about doing it.
  3. motta187

motta187 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I don't have any files on my comp I GOT A BRAND NEW ONE the old one is gone
  4. toomuchcaffeine

toomuchcaffeine New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Once you plug your iPod Touch in to your new computer your songs will all be erased if you sync it with iTunes. Did you purchase the songs in iTunes? If so you could just login to your account and authorize your new computer to play and sync the music.

This guide should help you copy your music to your new computer if it is not iTunes-bought.
  5. robcoffee

robcoffee New Member

I think the question you are asking is does Itunes store your purchase history in your Itunes account online, so if you buy a new computer and install Itunes and then log into your account it will automatically download your purchase history again?

As far as I am aware the answer is no, it will not. Your Itunes songs are downloaded to your computer and stored there. You should regularly back up your Itunes library in case of a hard drive failure using either the inbuilt Itunes backup system or by manually copying the Itunes library from your compute to another device (networked computer, external back up hard drive etc).

If you download Itunes to your new computer and then connect your Ipod, the music you have already on your Ipod will be wiped (because it is not on the computer). The same thing would happen if you attached your computer to a friends computer with Itunes - it would erase your library and replace it with his.

If your old computer has gone, and you only have the songs on your ipod, then you would need to ssh into your ipod and copy the songs back onto the new computer BEFORE you try and sync your ipod with Itunes on your new computer.

I could be wrong about this, but I strongly advise you try and get a backup of your songs off the ipod before you try and sync it with Itunes if you do not have any songs on the computer already.