Have I got a bubble or some kind of sensor?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by stmteam, Dec 13, 2008.

1. stmteam

stmteam Guest

Hi,

I noticed at the top part of the iPod touch (e.g. the upper black bit) I have a small round white circle. The circle is only visible under strong light such as direct flourescent tubes or halogens.

It's a small white circle but it leads me to think its a bubble because its off center horizontally but central vertically between the top of the iPod and the screen.

I cannot get a successful photo of it due to the difficulty of viewing the blemish. So why Do I Care? I like my things in as good a condition as possible, but ever since a pixel died but then came back to life 1 month later I've been a bit, hmmm. Stuck pixels eh.

One thing I hate, is the return of goods to Apple to receive a refurb, until they decided that my 5th Gen's iPod battery had not degraded enough to warrant a replacement. However quick to inform me it had unfortunately sustained a drop in a repair centair. Came back with scratched screen.

I prefer the Apple Store because I'd get a brand new replacement rather than some crappily abused refurbishment. However the store is 20 miles away on England's most busiest motorway which would take me 2 hours there, 2 hours back, so I don't want to waste my time.

So I'm asking, do you guys see this mark too? And curiously, what sensor is it?
  2. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Ambient light sensor, I guess.
  3. butteronaroll

butteronaroll New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    it is a senor for light to adjust the brightness automatically
  4. stmteam

stmteam Guest

So you guys can see it too in a bright light environment?
  5. hakk79

hakk79 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yeah, basically. I freaked out when I first saw it, but after learning about it it made sense. That is why all the cases that cover the front of the iPod touch have that opening in the shape of a circle at the top

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. stmteam

stmteam Guest

Hi,

Aha! That makes sense. Sorry I just bricked one when I saw it. I'll probably get a case soon but all cases I have seen don't have that little hole.

I'm looking for a carry case, the Belkin one is just awful, iSkins and Griffin cases also do not match my taste. But of all these I've seen not one has a little round hole.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Sorry my question was ambiguous, I didn't mean so you could see your screen in a bright light environment, I mean can you see the spot in a really bright environment, such as a sunny day
  7. hakk79

hakk79 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well it depends, but if you have a good amount of sunshine shining on it then yes. That is how I saw it at first (at dawn while walking to school).
  8. stmteam

stmteam Guest

Ok Cheers
  9. verteidi

verteidi New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Wow, this one kept me and my girlfriend thinking of some "Apple conspiracy" for hours...
    Secret camera to observe my gaming habits, perhaps.

Please Register or Log in to view images