have errors? quick tip for better descriptions

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by crappalappa, May 7, 2008.

1. crappalappa

crappalappa New Member

First, don't get your hopes up. Compensating for bad programming from the user side of the coin is a big uphill battle. That said, I don't know why this didn't occur to me earlier. It's since given me the nudge I needed for a fix on multiple occasions.

Recently, for an example, I could not install any SB themes, getting instead the "main script execution failed!" error. It didn't crash, but but it did fail and that error is not exactly helpful. I tried reinstalling Installer and SummerBoard and doing other fixes people suggested; didn't help. So I tried this...

Let the touch idle in SpringBoard.
    ssh into touch/phone from a remote computer as root.
    Type the full path to the binary inside the .app that is giving you problems, e.g.
    [size=-2]/Applications/Installer.app/Installer[/size]​
    (don't forget, zsh has autocompletion, so you can type '/Ap' and hit the tab key, type 'I', hit tab, etc...)​
    Watch the application (Installer.app for my example) launch on the touch/phone. Cause the error (in my case, tap to a package that won't install and try to install it).
    Watch ssh session spit out useful errors:
    [size=-2]... Installer[...] ATUnpacker: Copying compressed path: blah >> /var/root/Library/SummerBoard/Themes/blah
    ... Installer[...] ATUnpacker: Extracting folder: blah/ >> /var/root/Library/SummerBoard/Themes/blah
    ... Installer[...] ATUnpacker: Could not extract folder, aborting operation!
    [/size]​

In my case, a look at /var/root/Library/SummerBoard revealed that it is a symlink to /var/mobile/Library/SummerBoard which was, in turn, a symlink to itself.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Don't care how it happened, but a quick
    [size=-2]cd /var/mobile/Library/; rm SummerBoard ; mkdir SummerBoard ; chmod mobile:mobile Summerboard[/size]​
    fixed it and allowed the install to succeed.

So yeah, no promises, but given any mysterious error its still worth a shot.
    Cheers, crappa

aside: The app in question still needs to have good error handling for this to be useful, but if you are at all comfortable in a shell, monitoring stdout and stderr of a crashy/buggy app will usually give you more info on the problem. The above also obviously requires sshing in to your touch/phone, a process for which there are plenty of instructions lying about on this site... but frankly, if you have never done this or aren't comfy on a cli, reading the output might not do much for you anyway. I guess you could post the additional errors in this forum to get better help though

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Blaze_Blaster

Blaze_Blaster Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Nice find. I guess now everytime someone gets an error they should post this.