iPhone 3GS Have a friend buy 3GS for me?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by its_N0T_luck, Aug 12, 2009.

1. its_N0T_luck

its_N0T_luck New Member

Ok so my rich obnoxious friend bought a 3GS when it first came out and has been rubbing it in my face everyday since then. So now that i have the money to buy a 3GS i was wondering if this was possible.

Can my friend buy an "extra" iphone 3gs from Att or w/e (for me)for a lower price than what i would have to pay? Or would they question him on why he wants an extra iphone since nothing would be wrong with his?

Oh yeah, i would be using the phone on a different carrier, cuz i dont want ATT >.<

Thanks
  2. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    No that wouldn't work. Your friend wouldn't get a lower price on a second iPhone. To get the $200 price, he would have to lock into another contract and pay twice the monthly bill. Otherwise, he could get a retail (no contract) iPhone, at perhaps $800.
  3. kevin1st

kevin1st Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    well if you wanted att the only other carrier you could get would be t-mobile. but that would require you to pay about $500 for a 16 gb iphone 3gs (including phone, activation, and deavtivation fees.) then you'd have to jailbreak and unlock it with purplera1n. [think that is the name]
  4. its_N0T_luck

its_N0T_luck New Member

:*(

Boo that sucks that my friend wouldnt be able to do that.

Ok, what if this: (is this even legal?)

What if my friend were to sell me his 3GS, then go to ATT and say it got lost/stolen, then just buy a new 1 for himself?

Would he be able to buy one for the $200? Since hes already under the contract?

And if that would be possible, would they some how lock the supposed "stolen/lost" 3GS that i would now own?

Or is that considered fraud or something?

Please Register or Log in to view images

Thanks for fast replies =]
  5. Axis

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Nope, he'll be looking at an $800 or so price. Also, they'll blacklist the "lost" iPhone so you wouldn't be able to use it.
  6. FluffyofDoom

FluffyofDoom Member

well didnt they make it theft proof or something?

i thought that when it gets stolen they are able to still communicate with it and then the device sends out its location or something like that....thats what i heard
  7. Axis

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    That's a service of MobileMe.
  8. Mookler

Mookler Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    And then swat teams come down from helicopters, breaking thru windows and shoot up the building your stolen iPhone is in.

They really don't care. You already bought their phone, you lose it, buy another =p
  9. SeeFreaky

SeeFreaky New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    And they can still just pop out the sim card, and the Find my iPhone feature will be off.