has installer passed away??

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by h8terade, Oct 17, 2008.

1. h8terade

h8terade New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    hi community,

i'm using a jailbroken ipod touch 1 with 1.1.4 firmware.

i checked for some updates on installer, but no new app has been released in months.
    have all the developers turned their back and are now programming commercial apps for the app store?

since i have been off from the scene, i'm no longer up to date with how things are now.

i'm looking forward to update my device to 2.1 'cause i think the genius playlists are a very nice function to have.
    my question is, if i jailbreak 2.1 will i be able to get the old apps which were on installer back, or are they no longer online? there are some nice apps which i love such as AM, wifitoggle, summerboard, converter, nes emulator, icopter.

i heard something like cydia come along with a quickpwn of 2.1.
    is cydia as good as installer was? are new free apps released on cydia?

would be nice if a brother could fill me in!!

thanks in advance.
  2. ipNinja

ipNinja New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Yes installer is dead, did u not attend the funeral? Was very upsetting.

BUT!! Do not fear! Cydia is the sh*t my friend. Use That!
  3. Germany

Germany Banned

Yes! Installer has been crucified by Cydia. Cydia rapes!

I strongly recommend upgrading firmware to 2.X and QuickPwning your Touch. You'll get the beast they call Cydia!
  4. h8terade

h8terade New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    thanks for the short update, but could you be a liitle more specific?
    whats xactly is better on cydia.

also
    is their finally an app to play DivXviD ?

what the latest pwn? 2.1?
    but their is already a 2.2 firmware out, is it possible to pwn it?
  5. epqr

epqr Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    everything is better; more stable (installer is still in beta-satge. lol), no resping; simply a better application.

latest pwn is for FW 2.1, which is the latest.
  6. Baker5

Baker5 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    yes it be dead but cydia is awesome and very stable
  7. cazmaestro

cazmaestro New Member

Yes, Installer was dead ages ago, but Cydia is much better. Let me clue you up to all you've missed.

1/ Yh, so Cydia is like a replacement for installer, it is much more stable and has some new apps that are better than the apps in installer.

2/ Most of the apps youve mentioned (or with similar functions) are on the app store. You can only only really get apps form Cydia that Apple would have turned down for the app store, for example if the app messed with the system files or something.

3/ Summerboard has been replaced by winterboard which is more of an upgrade from summerboard. Winterboard allows you to have dynamic backgrounds instead of fixed still ones. It also acts as a simplified version of customise, in fact winterboard is much better than summerboard and the new customise put together, the new customise crashes and is also hard to use. So yh, another headline for you, CUSTOMISE IS ALSO DEAD.

4/ Basically yh, app store is kinda first place for developers, NOT CYDIA. I would recommend checkin the app store for apps before cydia, IF you ever jailbreak 2.1.

5/ Yup, genius playlists r nice! They really help when you want to make a quick playlist on the go. And you dont even have to fill in all of the genres.

6/ To jailbreak 2.1 your going to have to download the latest version of winpwn or quickpwn, and jailbreak firmware 2.1. I remember when i was on 1.1.4 and you will notice the changes. You may not like it but once you put all your fav apps back on, THEN you will realise you can get 10 times as many apps on the app store + genius + much more, you will wonder why you were still on 1.1.4

So sorry for makin you listen to this long winded post, but i hope it filled you in.
  8. h8terade

h8terade New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    thanks cazmaestro for your help!!!

much appreciated.
  9. awesome761

awesome761 Banned

do you think i should just delete installer?
  10. JohnnyAndroid

JohnnyAndroid Active Member

Device:
    iPad 4
    Yes. Very dead.

I remember back in the good old days it was the other way around. No one had Cydia and Installer was on top of its game.

Fate is cruel!

Please Register or Log in to view images