Has anyone used Wubi?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Mortel, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Mortel

Mortel Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Wubi, if you don't know, is a tool to allow users to easily install Linux inside of Windows. After running this program, it allows you to select Linux as one of the bootable choices when you turn on your computer.

See Wubi in action.

Has anyone used this tool?
    Last time I used this, I had some graphic errors. I then had to use the recovery console to restore an important file, since my computer would not boot up after manually powering off when I wasn't supposed to (lol).

Anyways, I'm about to try it again, now that a new update has been made to it, and that I got somewhat of a response after asking about my problem on their forums.
  2. Manic Nimrod

Manic Nimrod Well-Known Member

Yep, i have used it, it works very well, nothing went wrong.
  3. commanderbdokey

commanderbdokey New Member

Yep

well i had problems my first time but then the second time , it was successlful. the problem is that when u restart windows..........linux wont boot up right because windows' services are still running. so linux wont run unless u shut down windows and then boot from linux.

hope this helps
  4. Mortel

Mortel Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    well, I was successfully running Linux after installing it from the Live Cd for a few days, but decided to uninstall it after all the trouble. xD

After uninstalling it, traces of grub were still there I think, so it wouldnt boot windows. After fixing mbr, though, everything worked fine (I had a 9 gig partition running Ubuntu, and a gig partition for swap space).
  5. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I love usin Wubi to install Ubuntu inside Windows. Very handy dandy.
  6. Cyanidepoison

Cyanidepoison Active Member

If Wubi still uses Ext2 then... eh... I'd avoid it. I tried it and was unhappy with disc performance when it used 7.04.
  7. SUPERBXD

SUPERBXD Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    lol @ tes , handy dandy .
    i've never heard what wubi is ? but it looks cool.
  8. drakness

drakness New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    wubi won't work for me. I'm assuming it's because i'm on a dell, and there have been a lot of issues with wubi and dell computers from what i've read.

After I install, turn my computer off, then try to start linux, it kinda starts up, then says something like "Error: Root partition not defined" or something like that?