Has anyone used Cyber Clean on their iPod?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by utternutter, Feb 6, 2010.

1. utternutter

utternutter New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Cyber Clean. That gooey yellow reusable cleaning compound.

http://www.cyberclean.ch/

Claimed - suitable for cleaning all electronic products and leaves no residue or odor. But I used it on my iPod touch and it was coated with residue. Comes off when I wipe it with a wet cloth though.

Was wondering if anyone else has used it and had that problem?

My iPod's got a BSE skin on it, but it shouldn't be reacting with the skin.
  2. Gregte

Gregte New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I have to laugh every time I read that something is for "cleaning electronics" as though a plastic or metal container that has electronic circuitry inside it needs a different kind of cleaner than if there were no electronic components inside.

By far the best cleaner for your "electronics" is a dampened cloth, preferably cotton so as not to scratch soft plastics. Dampen it with water that you get out of a sink faucet.

If the plain old water will not cut the goo on your device then apply a tiny amount of dishwashing liquid to the damp rag. A half of a drop or so. Try again. As soon as you get the goo off rinse your rag in clear clean water, squeeze it to only being damp again, and wipe the device clean again until you believe all the soap is off of it.

Now dry the device with a dry cotton cloth, re-wetting as necessary if you need it to be streak free such as on an LCD screen, whether plastic or glass.

All the fancy pants cleaners in the world are going to do you nothing better. Most are alcohol based and some even worse. Alcohol will generally do no harm but that is not all inclusive.

Remember, there is no such thing as an "electronics" cleaner. Electronics do not get dirty. Electronics is a branch of physics. It is also a word applied to circuitry,

You want a plastic cleaner, a metal cleaner, a glass cleaner, a paint cleaner a rubber cleaner, and one that does not go running into every crevice it can. The application utilized will best take care of the latter. Soap and water are perfect for the job.

Modern marketing is nothing more than a brain game. Don't fall sucker to it!
  3. utternutter

utternutter New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Good advice indeed.

While that gooey gunk is fun to play with

Please Register or Log in to view images

and is apparently an effective disinfectant,

http://www.consumer.org.nz/news/view/review-cyber-clean-keyboard-cleaner

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. It's also left a thin film of residue on the metallic body of my camera. Wipes off easily, but why give yourself the extra hassle? I wouldn't have it anywhere near my keyboard either.