Has anyone been looking for Bluetooth? Or a mic connector on the Dock?

Discussion in 'iPod touch VoIP and Telephony' started by starkruzr, Oct 19, 2007.

1. starkruzr

starkruzr New Member

So there was a lot of noise made about the potential for the iPt to be a WiFi VOIP phone, but you need some way of getting audio into the device.

There are two ways (theoretically) to do this:

1) Find and enable Bluetooth
    2) Find and enable a potential microphone connector in the Dock connector on the bottom of the machine.

Has anyone been looking at this?
  2. Rybes

Rybes New Member

I tried the Belkin plugin mic which we bought for my wifes 30g 5g iPod but the touch rejects it.
  3. AzureBlack

AzureBlack New Member

You can't "find" bluetooth. It either comes installed or not.
  4. jamesthejust

jamesthejust New Member

Many believe there may be a Bluetooth chip inside the iPod touch that hasn't been discovered.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPod/iPod-Touch/130
  5. Blake

Blake Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    iphone head phones.
  6. joshhughes88

joshhughes88 New Member

nah, its not that simple, the mic and volume control work with the iphone and the iphone only
  7. mrnpod

mrnpod New Member

8. 4dthinker

4dthinker New Member

I picked up a Naviplay 10 BlueTooth adapter for my Touch and it works well with the Insignia Bluetooth headhones I also got at Best Buy. The Naviplay had been discontinued and was on clearance for $9.95.

So far I've only used the gear to listen to my ipod. The headphones do have a microphone in them, but I haven't tried it yet as I didn't think there was any application on the Touch that could take advantage of a microphone.

So, BlueTooth can be added to and does work with the Touch data port. If someone can point me to a mobile version of Skype I can install on the Touch I'll try the microphone with it. Wouldn't that be ironic if the iTouch using Skype turns out to be a better phone than the iPhone is!
  9. jasonweaver

jasonweaver New Member

Here my theory on how to turn it into a VoIP phone.

And i think this is the best route

1.) Since i doubt apple left the bluetooth chip in the iphone why doesn't someone make a product that connects to the touch via the connector thing (what is it called, its not USB) and have it send out a bluetooth signal?

If someone does this they can make a lot of money selling this product.
  10. bowman13139

bowman13139 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    If it is true that the headphones work in the dock connector, with added bluetooth, the it is entirely possible that a microphone can be added too, the correct application or firmware needs to be changed though.

You have the dockconnector for mic/bluetooth, so you can either have a bluetooth mic, or a wired in mic, possibly into the headphone jack, and MAYBE digitally "rewire" the headphone signals to pickup instead of put out (i know i know, but it is remotely possible) Its not really being openly worked on, which it should be

we have smart people out there, get on it!