Harmonix Unveil Rock Band Network

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by InaudibleWhisper, Jul 17, 2009.

1. InaudibleWhisper

InaudibleWhisper Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Harmonix today unveiled Rock Band Network, a new system of tools that allows anybody to chart and submit their songs for download in a new community section, assuming you are a member of a band or label and have access to the master tracks. That part might not mean anything to anyone here unless you're a member of a band but for us players this will mean literally thousands of new songs. Labels no longer have to ask Harmonix if they'll put 3 tracks up, they can chart entire albums and release them whenever they want themselves. All songs will be reviewed by Harmonix and a huge community of creators so that chart quality remains of a consistent quality. You can watch an introduction video here and read more about it here. The video shows what I assume is the closed beta which seemed to feature 2137 available songs at time of filming.

Previously DLC was limited to the time and manpower Harmonix had so we were limited to half a dozen songs a week and an album a month, if we were lucky. This is totally opening the floodgates to any music professional, or even some guy in his basement to show their music to the world. They have moved the number of people charting music from a group of 50-100 Harmonix staff to an unlimited number of band members, industry insiders and labels. So far the Sub Pop label have given their entire support and will be releasing all of their major releases from the past few years and all major future releases via the Rock Band Network. This is a list of artists who have worked with Sub Pop. Other labels will follow... Rock Band is pretty much going to get daily DLC, thousands of songs a year... it really is going to be another form of selling music alongside CD and iTunes, soon on a similar scale. Open beta begins in August for the 360 only, full release later this year.

Awesome.
  2. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Epic

Please Register or Log in to view images

I'm getting Rock Band Beatles in September so ... yay

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. Led

Led Banned

This is gonna be awesome if many bands join in. I want me some more QOTSA and SOAD!