hardly any wifi connections actually work

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by redraider, Dec 9, 2007.

1. redraider

redraider New Member

I have noticed that hardly any wifi connections actually work on my ipod. I live in a dorm so I get literally dozens of connections and only 1 or 2 actually work. The rest never give me a DNS or router number. Is this just me or does anyone else have this problem. Is there something I can do to fix it?
  2. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    For me, this usually is a false-positive, when it says that I can connect, but I'm too far away to get a strong enough signal.
  3. hifi_guy

hifi_guy New Member

There seems to be a DNS issue with the iPoT. I repeatedly found mine connect fine, get a strong signal but then unable to connect to the internet. Sometimes it helps if you make iPoT "forget" the WiFi network and then re-connect to it as if it were the first time. And/Or try rebooting the router, if possible.
  4. kamillark

kamillark New Member

my solution

i had the same prolem when i installed my router first try this. Find a signl that gives atleast to bars signal strength then go to its setting and see if u can see the ip and dns if so tap on renew lease (2nd row from bottom) then try safari if it still doesn't work reboot and try again. The 2nd way is to rebot your router or the person router (sounds like a 007/macgyver mission) and try, and if it doesn't work try the renew lease thing again afyer rebooting the router.Thats what worked for me, good luck.
  5. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Scarily enough, people are actually smart enough to turn on the security on their wireless routers

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. redraider

redraider New Member

I've tried rebooting, forgetting network, renewing lease on alot of connections and it never works. I guess they just have them secured somehow?
  7. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Probably - I've been able to get onto networks at the local supermarket, mexican restaurant, and even an airport - but been shutdown at other places too... kind of hit and miss -- can always use www.jiwire.com to find a list of hotspots that are accessible...
  8. sk8killer

sk8killer New Member

lol thats prolly just peeps that actually have secuirty on their router lol encryption...thats the word i was lookin for.. WEP, WPA yupp..