Hard to See Differences Between iPhone and Touch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BuckeyeGuy, May 9, 2009.

1. BuckeyeGuy

BuckeyeGuy New Member

Hi All. I Jut bought a Touch a couple of weeks ago and I love it. I love it so much that I'm thinking about taking it back and getting an iPhone. I'm having a hard time justifying the cost because my work pays for a Treo 750 with unlimited everything.

So my thought is I could just get an iPhone outright, and not use a phone plan. I'm sure there are some advantages if you don't mind paying an extra 300 dollars. It's those differences that I'm trying to quantify. What are they? I know of a couple but can't think or verify the rest.

1. Bluetooth
    2. Camera
    3. Does GPS work without a SIM card or activated service?
    4. Longer life? (It wouldn't run out as often as my Touch because I wouldn't have the phone part active)
    5. I won't have to pay for 3.0
    6. Apps that don't work with the Touch I could not use?
    7. Built in Microphone
    8. ?
    9. ?

Can anyone think of any other benefits?
  2. melterx12

melterx12 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    ...phone?

btw you know u can unlock the iphone and use it instead of your treo with same carrier (assuming it uses GSM)
  3. royalblue

royalblue Banned

Device:
    iPhone
    theoretically, GPS will work with no service However You will not be able to use it(Correction: Download maps) anywhere that you don't have wifi connection, which pretty much makes it pointless because then you generally know where you are in the first place, and you won't be able to take it on the go for directions. I would suggest finding out if your work's phone company is a GSM service, and if it is, then search QuickPwn on google to find out how to unlock it. Just download the software and it will tell you what to do from there to unlock/jb it
  4. BuckeyeGuy

BuckeyeGuy New Member

They're ATT, and I've already asked my work if they mind me using the SIM from the Treo in the iPhone. They weren't too hot on the idea. Mostly they'd never know, but there is a chance that the data plan on my number would get switches from unlimited data to iphone data plan. Even though no change in price, it might show up on someone's radar. Not worth the risk of the hammer coming down on me.

Good point on the maps. That kinds makes GPS, which was the one thing I really cared about useless. It's just soo hard to justify 720 dollars a year for something I already have.....grrrrr.
  5. Ari.

Ari. Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    looks sexy XD compared to ipod touch

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. leadergo

leadergo Active Member

For #3, GPS will work regardless of you having a SIM or no SIM. You just need a form of internet (Wifi, 3G) to view the maps.

For #4, it has a relatively good battery life. Disabling 3G in the settings can save battery life.

Other benefits, it looks sexy.
  7. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

You can use some GPS apps without a SIM or wireless. Not sure which one I actually have but it works with no connectivity.
  8. leadergo

leadergo Active Member

there is a GPS chip in your iPhone that detects sattelites. You only need internet to view the maps.
  9. nunchuck

nunchuck New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    you can get on the internet anywhere and jailbreak and teather it to your laptop