hard drve question

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sittinghomebored, Jun 4, 2009.

1. sittinghomebored

sittinghomebored New Member

alright i have a 8gb ipod touch 2nd gen that my loving girlfriend got me for christmas

she feels bad cause were both in college and didnt have a lot of money so she could only afford the 8gb model, i told her not to worry about it cause thats still a lot of music but i filled it up in like 2 days, with 1/4th of my mp3 collection.

it would make both her and me VERY hapy if i could somehow CHEAPLY upgrade the filesystem so that it was a 32gb.

is it possible for me to change the hard drive (it has to be flash memory right?) with the inside of a broken 32gb model, theres a bunch for sale on eebay, broken screens etc. id like to just swap the harddrive instead of the entire motherboard so i could take a swing at a broken 32gb with a motherboard caused error (ie bad usb port etc)

it the memory going to be hardwired to the motherboard or is it a seprate module i could just plug into my motherboard?

any advice is seriously appreciated

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Wills42

Wills42 New Member

Honestly, I don't think it is possible. If it were, wouldn't everyone be doing this?
  3. sittinghomebored

sittinghomebored New Member

haha well not everyone has the balls to try it

Please Register or Log in to view images

and it is possible on onlder ipods like the 4th gens,

but yeah maybe its not posible,

in the same vein, would i be able to buy a 32g touch with a broken screen and replaec the screen with mine?
  4. Ryuzaki

Ryuzaki Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Nah.
    Because the hardrive carries so much on the iPod touches.
    So, yeah.
    Sorry man. :/
  5. ShadowKing

ShadowKing Member

Device:
    iPad
    I think the Flash Memory is soldered onto the main board, so I doubt you could switch them out. You could do the screen thing, switching them out, but that's up to you.
  6. mohaas05

mohaas05 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    The iPod Touch uses flash memory. It is soldered onto the main circuit board and cannot be removed without some pretty intrusive (de)soldering.

But another problem is that the ROM (including the low-level firmware) may be on the same physical chip, so swapping it out could make your iPod inoperable.
  7. Sitruss

Sitruss New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You used to be able to piggyback memory chips on the older iPods, but I'm pretty sure that's not possible here.