hard drive type?

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by berky93, May 28, 2009.

1. berky93

berky93 New Member

so I finally got my new hard drive for my laptop, and I found a big problem. it doesnt fit! I got a 2.5" SATA drive and my notebook has a SATA 2.5" drive in it, theyre both even the same drive (seagate momentus)

[I dont have much experience here, so please forgive me if this is an obvious question]

the problem is, the drive in my notebook isnt regular SATA. I checked it out, and instead of the flat row of pins you would expect, it has these thin "plates" that are almost as tall as the drive sticking straight out. they slide into little grooves in the connector in my notebook. I've never seen this before and I couldnt find any info on it. but without any idea what this is, I have no hope of buying the correct drive. so what is this? and is there a possible way to use a standard SATA drive?
  2. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    a pick of your current drive and the drive you baught would help. If you cant get em onto the forum PM me and ill give you my email to send em to.
  3. Alt+F4

Alt+F4 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well i know HP laptops have a special bracket mounted on the drive, i dont know about any other's but it might have the bracket adapter thing.
    EDIT: Would it happen to look like this?

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. berky93

berky93 New Member

lol that was it. I didnt even notice the adapter! I feel stupid now...

EDIT: (its better to just put this question in the same thread rather than make a new one)

is there a way to move a partition? I installed the new drive but all of the extra space is just free space. the problem is that you can only extend a partition into the one directly to the right of it. my partitions are in this order: [C][D][Unpartitioned] is there a way to move D to the right?