Hard drive space

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Rags, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Rags

Rags New Member

Does iTunes keep track of the hard drive usage of apps that are installed? because after adding a few apps, such as maps, mail, apollo, NES and PDF viewer iTunes still says I have 14 GBs of space left but when I go to add songs, videos, etc., i get the message that my hard drive is full. I have restarted my ipot like 5 times already and it seems to happen mostly after a PDF Viewer is installed (that include PDF viewer from the installs app and the pdf + apache way of viewing PDFs. Can someone help me please because I don't want to have to choose between music, movies, etc. and apps.
  2. jord

jord New Member

On your ipod when in settings... how much disk space does it say you have remaining?
  3. Rags

Rags New Member

it says that i have 13.9 GB left
  4. jcooley

jcooley New Member

I believe it is because the internal hard drive is partitioned into two pieces.

I noticed this when I received the same error message. Overall you have 14 (or whatever) GB free, but what's actually going on is, while the partition that holds music, etc. is fairly empty, the much-smaller part that holds apps is pretty full.
    When you ssh into the device, (or using vt100 shell) you can issue "df -h" to get a picture of the drives.

I expect that this can be fixed... Maybe a future version of installer can let you choose which partition to install on and track that for you?

Apps could be moved manually to the other drive, but as it is now, you'd have to keep track of this yourself.

EDIT:
    It seems everyone is writing about this.

See
    http://www.touchdev.net/wiki/More_Space_for_Applications
  5. Rags

Rags New Member

6. AlexRADL

AlexRADL Retired Moderator

You do know the touch has flash storage, not HDD...right.