Hard-Drive capacity questions

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jedimasterkyle, Aug 27, 2010.

1. jedimasterkyle

jedimasterkyle Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    So why is it that my touch has an 8GB hard-drive but when I plug it into iTunes, it only shows that I only have a 6.8GB capacity? When I first got my ipod around xmas time, the hard-drive capacity was closer to 8GB but ever since I went to 4.0, my hard-drive capacity went to 6.8GB for some reason.

Any ideas?
  2. lolmao

lolmao Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    apples OS takes up space
  3. ThatGEEKFreak

ThatGEEKFreak Active Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    First of all your iPod uses flash memory, not a hard drive.
    Second the reason that the capicity is lower is because formatting takes up space on any hard drive or flash memory. The reason it's lower than it was on other firmwares is because the iOS4 firmware is the largest so far and it's stored on the flash, thus resulting in less usable space.
  4. touch_iPod

touch_iPod Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    @jedimasterkyle, this is similar to your PC, whereby a 180GB hard drive (as an example) comes with only 170GB of usable memory, with the balance being taken up by system files.

The iPod works in the same way as well, i.e. one chunk of the 8GB memory is actually taken up by the iOS firmware and cannot be deleted from the unit (same as the PC's system files).
  5. iRa1n

iRa1n Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    my computer is supposed to have 500gb memory and 4gb ram, yet it has 450gb memory and only 3.3 gb ram. Bullsh*t right.
  6. b767forever

b767forever Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Your RAM can't be reduced. It's not used for storage, like hard drive. So visit a technician

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. iRa1n

iRa1n Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah it's wierd because with vista installed if I go to my computer properties it says 4 gig. But with xp it says 3.3, and somewhere else I was looking it says 3.3. Sorry for going o/t
  8. Steve Pearce

Steve Pearce New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    That's because you are running a 32 bit OS, if it was 64 bit you would see the whole 4GB.
  9. TakenAppleDownAPeg

TakenAppleDownAPeg Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Its not because its a 32 bit OS, 64 bit XP pro does the same with more than ~3.3 gigs of ram, it's kernel does it. and the 500GB hard drive doesn't show the full 500 because of formating, the computer needs to know where all the files are located and thats a lot of space to keep tract of.
  10. bubs58

bubs58 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Like its said about

Please Register or Log in to view images

the extra space thats used is the ipod OS, meaning when you see the default lockscreen, and the home screen and all that stuff, that is the 1.2GBs being used.