Review Harbor Master

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by studangerous, Jun 19, 2009.

1. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007

Please Register or Log in to view images

Category: Games
    Released: June 17, 2009
    Version: 1.03.0
    Size: 5.1MB
    Developer: Imangi Studios, LLC
    Home Page:[/SIZE][/B]

_______Introduction ________________________________________

Harbor Master is the latest release from Imangi Studios, a partnership between Keith Shepherd and Natalia Luckyanova, two of the most approachable and friendly developers I've met.

The game itself is one of the best pick-up-and-play apps released on the App Store in the last few weeks and will likely linger in the charts for some good time to come, especially if a few updates are made to pack in some additional content (Keith's recent Twitters suggest he's working on it). Gorgeous in its simplicity and addictive in its gameplay, you can't go wrong with this one. It's a bellweather app and already has a permanent place on my packed Springboard.

some example screenshots from the game

I'll follow the lead set by other reviewers who've looked at this game and note the obvious similarities between Harbor Master and Australian developer Firemint's Flight Control, which was an App Store hit when it was released and recently hit 1,000,000 units sold. However, Harbor Master hugs you closer and the simple polished feel of the game alongside the more interesting gameplay holds your attention for longer. If you have both apps on your Springboard you'll find your thumb hovering over Harbor Master more often.

__________Cargo Bay________________________________________

see the game in action for yourself on youtube

Complementing the simple polished graphics are a simple plunky soundtrack and onomatopoeia inducing audio effects - game audio that you won't grow tired of.

The gameplay is simple. Ships come on screen from the edges and you draw a path with your finger to guide them to a dock where to unload their cargo. Once unloaded you draw another line to send them back off the screen edge. This simple procedure is soon complicated by a steadily increasing influx of ships of differing sizes. Then there's the occasional tornado or requirement to color co-ordinate you boats to docks thrown into the mix.

In game achievements are basic, comprising total shifts worked (i.e. games played) and total cargo received. This data, along with your game scores, is uploaded to the global stats database where you can see how you rank against the other Harbor Masters around the world.

Graphics: ...................8.5----------crisp, polished graphics and menus

Audio:..........................9-------------basic plunky sounds, effects & music that you won't tire of

Gameplay: ..................9-------------simple, responsive, multi-touch controls

Replay Value: ............10-----------you'll keep going back for more and then some

Value For Money: ......10-----------$0.99, worth a dollar more at least!

Attached Files:

2. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Jan 26, 2008
    I'm guessing it's sort of like Airport Mania but for boats. Clever take... not original, but looks amazing.
  3. Functional Disorder

Functional Disorder New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I think you meant Flight Control

Airport Mania is a time management game a la Sally Salon and Diner Dash....