Handbrake video converting size.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by soong, Sep 13, 2010.

1. soong

soong New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Hey all, I just have some video clips that's recorded on 720p (1280x720), and want to hear some advice on what pixel should I covert it to.
    I converted 1280x720 to 960x400. Is that perfect for the iPod Touch 4?
    BTW, I'm waiting for one. Still not here in Japan.
  2. willytboy

willytboy New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Hey man do you own a Mac OSX or your using Handbrake on PC. I'm on a Mac and I sue handbrake for converting my Videos. When converting make sure you click the iPod Touch/iPhone Bar so it convert's to iTunes format in order to play on your iPod Touch. For videos like cartoons and tv shows I set them to around 70mb to 100mb and it's very good quality. You can do this by Target Size (MB). I would just leave it as normal as the default video resolution it is in it's good enough quality to watch. If you want to know more stuff just ask me

Please Register or Log in to view images

Handbrake is mainly for Mac OSX
  3. soong

soong New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    oops, my bad.
    For a second, I thought this was Macrumors Forums, hehe.
    Yeah, I do use Mac. I heard that using the standard iPod Touch or iPhone resolution doesn't look good on the new iPod Touch 4G, which I'll have it ASAP when it is released in Japan.
    After clicking on iPod Touch/iPhone, I clicked on Picture Settings, and changed the resolution from there (from 480 to 960). Is that what I should do for 960x640 iPod Touch 4G Retina Display resolution?
  4. kabes

kabes New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    You definitely want to convert your video so the width is 960 and then depending on the aspect ratio of the film/show the height will be different.

For a 1280x720 or 1920x1080 original file this would mean converting it to 960x540 for the retina display to maintain aspect ratio.

Keep in mind that the touch 4g will also play 1280x720 files so you can always leave them at that res if you think you may want to play them on other sources later (on the tv, computer, or an ipad, etc.)
  5. soong

soong New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Thanks kabes.
    I was refreshing the whole time to see the response.
    No, I don't want to display on my TV as I do not have any dock to AVI connector or Apple TV.
    Thanks! I hope this works out well.
    *Praying God so that I can buy my iPod Touch 4G on Wednesday.*
  6. NolesFans

NolesFans New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    How you sue handbrake?
  7. R&S

R&S Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Why do you think it's mainly for Mac OSX?

I personally think it's one of the best, if not the best video converter on Linux.
  8. Callofduty_stud

Callofduty_stud New Member

This is kind've off topic, but if I took an hour long video file from the 4g touch that was 1280x720p and about 4 or 5 gb's, and converted it to 640x480, how much would it cut down the file size?
  9. BubbaRob

BubbaRob Member

I convert 720p video all the time for my Ipod Touch and use the "AppleTV" preset in Handbrake and I do change the width to 1280 to match the source and it looks and plays perfect on my device.

Here is a video on how to use Handbrake... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZaJ6spq2ig
  10. willytboy

willytboy New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I have used Handbrake on 2 computers one a pc with the same specs as my Macbook Pro and I can tell that on Mac personally they preform better on macs then Pc's thats in my opinion sorry

BTW Nice video very good tutorial