Hackint0sh/Windows/OSX/Ubuntu/DualBoot Help!!?? Windows=FAIL!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac & OS X' started by MrFairladyz, Oct 11, 2008.

1. MrFairladyz

MrFairladyz Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    So heres whats goin on....(please read the whole thing plzzzz)

IVE HAD ENOUGH OF WINDOWS!!!!

im freakin sick of the damn thing, i skinned it to make it look and run like leopard but "underneath it all, its still windows"

i got a virus (i know, long story short, my uncle and i werent paying attention the bam.... and ive been doing 10 hour virus scans ever since) and i got it off but ive just given up on the whole "youd better watch out when your online or you might get a virus" deal. i want to be free of the hassle.

I've got 2 hdds in my pc. one is my sisters old one that has all the crappy programs and wastes 40 gigs of space, BUT its the drive with windows installed. Then, theres my drive which has all of my documents and programs and stuff.

What im thinking of doing is moving the stuff on my drive to an external drive i have and then installing a new OS on my drive. that would leave my sisters drive with windows on it and my drive with the new OS.

what i want to know is how i should go about doing this. im gonna try installing OSX first and if that doesnt work (im not givin up very easily), ill go ubuntu.

okay....

1. When my pc starts up, can i choose which OS to boot into (windows or the other one)?
    Can i have 2 OS's on different drives (one on each) and still boot both of them (not at the same time of course just one when i want the restart and the other one)

2. I have an old HP pavillion desktop...how well will it work with OSX (will the hardware work, will it even boot up?)

3. Anyone out there with a hackint0sh? how is it?

4. WAZZZAAAAAAAAAPPPP

5.thanks

Please Register or Log in to view images

(ill add more questions later)

also, my pc specs are

Pentium 4 2ghz
    512mb RAM (ill most likely upgrade)
    windows xp home edition
    yeah thats pretty much it i put in some dvd burners and a memory card reader and the usual stuff
    and also a wifi card, which i REALLY hope works with OSX

thanks again

EDIT: scan pic (9 hours 32min!!!!)

edit again:

is this the way to do it cause i saw a lot of tutorials like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqKxgCCeT04&feature=related

EDIT: another tut i found yesterday and it looks really good... any1 who followed this 1 and succeeded?
    http://lifehacker.com/348653/install-os-x-on-your-hackintosh-pc-no-hacking-required/
  2. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Pay a visit here first: http://www.osx86project.org/ Check out what you need, etc and it has all the guides you need for what you want to do.

That is IF you want to use Mac OS X as one of the OS's you want to boot.

IF not, just do Windows + Ubuntu dual boot which is easiest.
  3. mrfajita

mrfajita New Member

most pentium 4's (if not all) support SSE2 or SSE3 so OSX should run
    search ******* sites for JaS 10.4.6 if you can live with tiger because it is the most compatible
    right now i am downloading iDeneb 10.5.5 to see if it will work with mine
    hackintosh is great, mine runs better than windows on a horrible CPU (celeron M)
    i dual boot with ubuntu and i had to edit the grub bootloader to add osx, but just google "add osx to grub" and follow those directions and you should be good!

i am using a 3 year old compaq notebook and it works as a good hackintosh (standby and battery dont work but thats not important with your desktop)
  4. atomicmufin

atomicmufin Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    definately put ubuntu on first, its the easiest to use + has gparted which is great for partitioning/formatting
  5. Parm289

Parm289 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Okay.

What you want to do seems a little bit complicated, but is definitely possible. You just have to be VERY patient.

First, follow Tes's instructions and look on the OSx86 site for requirements, etc. A little disclaimer before you experiment with OSx86 - it often takes a lot of time, effort, and searching to get it to work. I won't go into the process of installing this here. If you decide you want to try installing it, read up at insanelymac.com and other sites. Of course, if you need help, feel free to ask here.

Ok, now we're down to your virus-ridden XP install on HD1 (that's what we'll call it) and your documents drive on HD2. It would be helpful if you told us how big each drive is - it would be easier to plan out your configuration.

In order to easily have a nice bootloader (which is a piece of software that enables you to choose the OS to boot into at startup), you should definitely install Linux LAST.

I'm going to state my opinion here. After (or if) you get rid of the virus from XP, back up ALL documents and needed files to another hard drive (preferably an external USB drive, but backing up to your documents drive will do). I suggest using the bigger drive to house all your documents, so the can be read and accessed by any OSes yo decide to install on the other drive.

In my opinion, you should theoretically separate your documents drive HD2 into two partitions - one for you, and one for your sister. That way, your files are stored separately, as if they were on separate physical drives. The format should be either fat32 or NTFS (again, this is assuming you're not using OSx86) so the files can be recognized by both Ubuntu and Windows. Once you configure your hard drive in this way, the fun begins.

Planning to install Windows XP and Ubuntu on the same drive is easy. I'm not going to go into any installation detail yet - first you should plan the way you want your computer to run. Rushing to install can often cause loss of data (I know this firsthand...). So, assuming you're a seasoned XP user and trying Ubuntu out for the first time, and assuming your HD1 is 100gb, I would suggest you divide the drive into 2 partitions:

Partition 1 (Windows XP) - 75GB
    Partition 2 (Ubuntu) - 25 GB

Again, the division is all up to the user - try to get as close as possible to your preferred long-term solution on the first try, or at least before you settle into the configuration. Adjusting the partition sizes after install is not fun and usually very dangerous.

Basically, the procedure for the above configuration would be:

1. Transfer all needed documents, FROM BOTH DRIVES, onto a safe external hard drive.

2. Split the Documents drive, HD2, into two partitions (one for you, and one for yor sister), both of which are either fat32 or NTFS format

3. Transfer all your documents to the first partition on the Documents drive.

4. Transfer all your sister's documents to the second partition on the Documents drive.

5. Format the OS drive, HD1, and make two partitions:
    - Partition 1 (75gb) - XP
    - Partition 2 (25gb) - Ubuntu
    6. Install Windows XP onto the first partition of the OS drive.

7. Install Ubuntu onto the second partition of the OS drive.

So if you like what you see so far (and this is without any specific installation instructions), I'll go into more depth on how to perform the actions needed. Hope I could help.

(And BTW, this is my first post here in about 4 months...)
  6. MrFairladyz

Device:
    iPod touch
    thanks parm, but thats like 10x more than i needed.

i dont want to even touch my sisters drive because this is my pc and she doesnt use it any more and never will.... but my parents wont let me delete her files

i will however move the files from hd2 onto an external drive and then format hd2. i will then install ubuntu to get the bootloader then install OSX

hd1 is 60gb approx 2gb left
    hd2 is 80gb approx 65gb left
    external is also 80.

i have about 10gb worth of files on hd2 and im moving them to te external.

anyway...using ur info, this is what im going to do.

1.move all files on hd2 to external
    2. format and partition hd2 10gb for ubuntu, 70 for OSX
    3. install ubuntu (to get bootloader)
    4. install osx

will i be able to boot from hd2?
  7. Parm289

Parm289 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I know my post was huge, but its always good to know exactly what you're doing before doing anything.

You plan seems like it will work. Just make sure to research about the OSx86 bootloader (the one i use is the Darwin Bootloader), and make sure that it will be able to boot your Ubuntu install.

Just out of curiosity, what format is your HD1? I assume its NTFS from windows, which should be readable by OSx86 and Ubuntu.
  8. MrFairladyz

Device:
    iPod touch
    i gots ntfs right now on both drives

about the bootloader... cant i just have the ubuntu bootloader (GRUB i think) and use that to choose whether to boot from xp/osX/ubuntu?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    also, which bootloader should i use? XP or Grub?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    seriously, this would be a kagillion times easier if i didnt have to worry about my sisters old hdd *idea*

9. Parm289

Parm289 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You should definitely use GRUB. Just look up how to boot OSX from GRUB to make sure that it's possible and easy.

Partitioning your documents drive into sections for you and your sister would free up an entire drive to put your operating systems on...Or you could just dump her files onto the external drive and have 2 HDDs to yourself.
  10. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well i'm not going to bother reading that big pile of bananas? But i felt like saying, you suck. Do not say windows sucks just because you can't use it properly. Your going to get flamed for sure just for putting "Windows=Fail" in the title, as well as the tag "windows sucks".