[Guide] What to do if you think your iPod touch 2G is bricked?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by NobleRooster, Feb 8, 2009.

1. NobleRooster

NobleRooster New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm getting rather annoyed with the forum being clogged up with so many threads about people thinking they've bricked. So, I'm posting this in hopes of clearing some of it out. Also, if this thread is successful, please sticky it so the newbies (and I mean that in the nicest sense possible) that think they have bricked their touch will have somewhere to go for help instead of making so many useless threads.

Anyway, onto this threads purpose, to fix your iPod touch when you think you have bricked it.

This typical "Oh noeess! I've bricked my iPod!!!" scenario steps in when in the process of putting your iPod into DFU mode, or loading the boot, jailbreak, etc. Believe me, I've been down this road, and it is scary at first, but it's easy to get out of it.

1. Take your iPod touch, and disconnect it from your computer. Then reconnect it.

2. You'll probably get a little notification from Windows saying the device has malfunctioned and is not recognized. First thought is to panic, but don't, all is well little ones.

3. Take your iPod with it still connected to your computer, and try to re-put it into DFU mode. First though, turn up the sound on your computer (I've found this helps in listening for Windows connection and disconnection notifications)

4. To put it into DFU mode, hold down the lock button (on top of the iPod) and the menu/home button (the circle one on the front of your iPod near the bottom) at the same time for 10 seconds. Count 1 mississippi, 2 mississppi, 3... and so on. Around when you get to 10 mississippi, windows should make a sound notifying a disconnection. At this point, let go of the lock button, but continue to hold the menu/home button. Hold this until you hear the other notification sound from Windows confirming a connection has been established. Now, release the menu/home button.

5. If done correctly, your iPod touch will be in DFU mode. And iTunes will recognize it and say it needs to be restored.

-Signs that you are not in DFU mode-
    - When you unplug and reconnect your iPod after putting in DFU mode, it should go into a white screen. If not, you have not executed DFU mode correctly.
    - You see the Connect to iTunes notification on the front of your iPod (iPod cable pointing towards an iTunes icon).
    - Nothing seems to be recognizing the iPod is connected. Once again, re-execute the procedure to put your iPod in DFU mode.

People feel free to post anything else you know of that makes it easier to get it back in DFU mode or confirm it is actually in DFU mode.

Hope this helps some people out.
  2. dim3000

dim3000 New Member

Very nice guide. I'm sure it should help clear things up around here.
    Oh and people can try my TouchPwn tool (link in sig), many people have used it and it works great for them.
  3. NobleRooster

NobleRooster New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Just giving this a bump so some people might see it. Seems to have made it to the bottom of the stack.
  4. idk761

idk761 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Sadly though, people will keep on posting threads on this topic.

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. jlgm25

jlgm25 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    hope mods will sticky this.
  6. NobleRooster

NobleRooster New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yea, I really wish they would too. I think it'd save them some trouble from all the noob threads out there.

7. toor0033

toor0033 New Member

Great, now all the n00bs will stop saying "ZOMG my iPod brickeded!

"
  8. espeorb

espeorb New Member

Here's one vote for a sticky from me.
  9. midnight0045

midnight0045 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    i'm trying to put my ipod in dfu mode.. it is close to it.. but it wont take it... when i get to step 4 windows makes the beep that the disconnection has been made after holding both buttons.. but as i am holding the home button.. there is no reconnection... what is my problem here?

what i do

plug in my sh*tty ipod.. and hey! a beep and the Unrecognized balloon comes up

next

i hold both buttons ... after about 7 or 8 seconds.. windows BEEPS for the disconnection .. and then i immediatley let go of the power button while holding the homebutton and nothing happens next... no new BEEP .. no windows.. itunes is open but wont read the ipod... what am i doing wrong?.. i am so close here .. my ipod has been dead for 2 days
  10. shadowtrainer02

shadowtrainer02 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    midnight's got a point, that happened to mine. i tried to use your tips, but it still didnt recognize it.