Guide to backup your files

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by ipT, Aug 2, 2010.

1. ipT

ipT New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    It seems like many people stayed on iOS 3.1.3 until a jailbreak for 4.0 came out. Now that jailbreakme came out a lot of people need to restore and face the risk of losing app data due to Apple's not backing up things well. Well here are some solutions found on Cydia to solve your problems

AptBackup
    Found on the BigBoss repo (one of the defaults): Free
    It backs up Cydia apps. However it does not keep the setting of the apps but it just re-downloads them for you. The list is synced with iTunes so it will be safe if you backup and restore. However one problem is that it will only restore the apps once per restore (of the iDevice)

AppBackup
    Found on the BigBoss repo: Free
    This app backups the settings and saves of your App Store apps. This is also synced with iTunes. However the dev said he can not support the app on iOS 4.0.

Chronus
    Found on the ModMyi repo: Free, Paid Version: Unknown (because the site is unreachable)
    Chronus is very similar to AppBackup. However in Chronus, you can choose which apps to backup. The only downside is that there is not backup all button. An added bonus is that you can email the backups to yourself. It does sync with iTunes

PkgBackup
    Found on the BigBoss repo: 4.99$
    You can backup Cydia apps and repos with this intuitive app. There are more options than in AptBackup and you can restore more than once. The backups are found in the Contacts App under Pkg Backup

I personally use AptBackup with PkgBackup to back that up. Then I use Chronus to backup my AppStore Apps.

Disclaimer:
    I have tested on these on a iPod Touch 3G. So I do not know if it will work an iPad or iPhone 4. But it probably will.

I don't know the prices cause my iPod is syncing from my huge library so can anyone help me
  2. Communati0n

Communati0n New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    would just copying out the app folders work? cos i use this to replace game save files after i do a restore
  3. ipT

ipT New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Yeah but then you would have to SSH it in and out. Plus it would take up a lot of disk space
  4. Communati0n

Communati0n New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    yeah, i know but i find it best cos i change some stuff too regularly and cant be bothered backing it up normally cos itunes is a bit dodgy atm
  5. pyromatic

pyromatic New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I think this is a good guide. but when you do get the chance try an update all the unknowns.

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. Habylab

Habylab New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Yeah I just backup the entire Applications folder, doing it now ready for iOS4 upgrade!
  7. Communati0n

Communati0n New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    ill try that, but whatd happen to the non-compatible apps?