[GUIDE] The iPod "iPod" Is Synced With Another iTunes Library

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by ToasterEater, Apr 16, 2010.

1. ToasterEater

ToasterEater Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    The iPod "iPod" Is Synced With Another iTunes Library

Please Register or Log in to view images

To some, this single window is one of the most troubling parts of using iTunes. It doesn't have to be this way. I will show you why.

Reasons You Would See This Window:
    1. You are on either a mac or windows, and you are trying to sync your iPod on a different User Account than you usually do. To iTunes, this is considered a new "iTunes Library"
    2. You thought you could plug your iPod into your friends computer and rip all your songs onto his computer.
    3. You simply need to change which computer you sync your iPod with.
    4. You need to transfer purchases from your iPod to a new computer.
    5. You bought a used iPod/iPhone/iPad and you are syncing it to your library for the first time.

You are on either a mac or windows, and you are trying to sync your iPod on a different User Account than you usually do. To iTunes, this is considered a new "iTunes Library"

The solution to this common problem is very simple, all you have to do is Log out of the current user account, and log back in with the User Account you normally sync your iPod with.

You thought you could plug your iPod into your friends computer and rip all your songs onto his computer.​

This issue is not really an issue. This dialog box was created to prevent people from being able to simply plug their iPod into another Computer and rip all the songs from the ipod to the computer. This is possible with third party software, but depending on which country you live in, is illegal. It is the same as downloading music illegally, File sharing.

You simply need to change which computer you sync your iPod with.

This is the most common problem people have had in the past. This is not as big of an issue with the new iTunes 9 feature, Home Sharing.

With this issue, you have two ways of moving the content from your iPod to your new computer.

1. Connecting your new computer to the one with all of the iTunes media on it using Home Sharing, then transferring everything via your network:
    2. Transferring everything from your iPod to your new computer using third party freeware/shareware: I prefer Sharepod.

You need to transfer purchases from your iPod to a new computer.​

If this is the case, all you have to do is ensure that the songs that you want to transfer are authorized:
    Then, simply plug it in and click transfer purchases! All purchased content from that account will be transferred to the computer from the iPod.

You bought a used iPod/iPhone/iPad and you are syncing it to your library for the first time.​

So You got yourself a new iPod, eh? Thats awesome. Now, when you first plug it into your computer, it will prompt you with this window. Click "Erase and Sync" and you're good to go!

Attached Files:

2. Cl8rs

Cl8rs Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Amazing guide!
  3. ToasterEater

ToasterEater Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    thanks a ton!

4. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    For everything apart from taking music off your ipod couldnt you just click "manually manage music and videos"?
  5. ToasterEater

ToasterEater Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I believe whether that Option is checked or not, if you do any of what I mentioned, it will give you this dialog, making you decide between erasing and transferring purchases.
  6. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Not for me :/
  7. ToasterEater

ToasterEater Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    If you select "Manually Manage Music and Videos", then plug it into another computer, it doesnt give you this box??
  8. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    nope, i checked the box and took songs from my friend :/
  9. ToasterEater

ToasterEater Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Which model of iPod? I may look into this, and include it in my guide. Thanks for the info.
  10. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    both my 3rd gen 32gb ipod and my 1st gen 8gb ipod are able to do this. Unless, they changed this is 9.1?