Guide: Syncing Gmail contacts to your 'Touch

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by branfordlax, Jan 21, 2008.

1. branfordlax

branfordlax New Member

Okay, a few users have posted questions about this, and seeing as though I have figured out how to do this correctly...see below.

Note:

-There is no "all-in-one" solution for this, yet -- but if you the follow this guide I can guarantee results!

-This guide is for Gmail users, so please do not ask me about Yahoo! Mail, Hotmail, etc. (although the procedure for those services is probably very similar to my "Gmail" method).

-You must have Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express and iTunes for this to work.

-This method is only for Windows users. If you are a Mac OSX user, try Google! That's why it's there.

--- Let's begin! ---

Step 1: Open your Gmail page. Go to Settings > Forwarding and POP/IMAP. Make sure "IMAP" is enabled. Minimize the window.

Step 2: Open up Microsoft Outlook (or Outlook Express). If this your first time using either program, a menu will pop up in which you can create your [Gmail] account (it's self-explanatory). Otherwise, go to Tools > Accounts... and create one from there (again, self-explanatory). After Outlook/Outlook Express verifies your account, it will send a "test email" to your Gmail page, so check back at your Gmail inbox to see if everything is good to go.

Step 3: Go to your Gmail page, click Contacts. In the lower left hand corner, you should see see options: Import, Export, or Print. Click "Export", and save the file to wherever you can easily access it later (Desktop, etc.).

Step 4: Open Outlook/Outlook Express yet again. Go to File > Import and Export and a menu should appear. On the right hand side, select Import from another program or file, hit Next, and then select Comma Separated Values (Windows). Hit "Browse..." and find your contact list file you saved earlier (it's a .csv file). Then, typically, select Do not duplicate items. Click Next again/Finish, etc. (Now your contacts should be successfully in Outlook).

Step 5: Open iTunes. Load up your 'Touch, and go to the Info tab (contacts should be the first section on the page). From the drop-down menu, select Microsoft Outlook (or Outlook Express) and make sure the All bubble is checked. Now, simply hit "Apply" at the bottom of the screen, wait for your 'Touch to sync, and there you go. Now, if you open the Contacts app. on your 'Touch, all of your contacts will (should, lol) be listed there.

---In Summation---

-Enable IMAP on Gmail and Export your contacts list

-Setup your Gmail account through Outlook/Outlook Express

-Import your Gmail contacts list to Outlook/Outlook Express

-In iTunes, go to the Info tab and select Outlook/Outlook Express as your contact "source."

~Any problems simply post here.
  2. marko

marko New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    nice write-up. but its not really a "sync". its copying contacts in to outlook and then doing a normal sync through iTunes. what would be nice would be to really do a 2-way sync between the touch and gmail contacts without having to go through outlook and without having to import and export the file everytime your contacts change
  3. branfordlax

branfordlax New Member

Thank you, that's what I meant (this is my first "official" walkthrough...).

And yes, it's a real downer that you have to go through Outlook to get the contacts...that is why I am hoping for an "all-in-one" solution; but, as I have mentioned, there is none. I did find a few app.'s via Google that claimed they would do the job, but none of the ones I tried performed the process correctly.
  4. steveipod

steveipod New Member

Thanks, worked great

this worked great! as a newbie, very easy to follow along. thanks again!

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. pfrr

pfrr New Member

An easier way.
    You can synch with Yahoo too.
    Open an Yahoo account or if you have one delete all contacts. Don't worry you can undelete them afterwards.
    Synch your Ipod/phone with Yahoo Mail and press replace. This will clear all your contacts as you have none on you Yahoo account.
    Switch your synch to Google and use "replace" again.
    All your Google contacts are now on you ipod/phone
    From then on you are synchd with google
    Remember to undelete your Yahoo contacts
  6. branfordlax

branfordlax New Member

I suppose that could work, but it takes more effort to go through and delete unwanted contacts.

Also, as noted in the guide's preamble, this guide is made for Gmail users only. Sorry!
  7. sageDieu

sageDieu Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah useless bump now that you can do everything now on the device itself with Exchange. #JustSayin
  8. branfordlax

branfordlax New Member

Well, I wouldn't say it's useless. It's still a comprehensive, step by step guide that is easy for anyone to follow. Your comment is quite superfluous, actually...
  9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Brilliant!

Thanks so much!

Even though one may now import contacts directly from Gmail via iPod Info tab (without going throughOutlook or Windows Live), these instructions are crystal clear, and made it a snap for me to do.

Thank you so much!
  10. branfordlax

branfordlax New Member

You're welcome! It's always great to know that I've helped someone out -- and I'm surprised that people still read this thread, as it was written two years ago! Anyway, hope this made your life easier.