iOS 3.1 [Guide] Restore 3.1 without errors

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Ryan, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Ok so yesterday I had to rejailbreak my device and so i restored to a stock 3.1 and then restored with a custom 3.1 I had made on a mac before. Bang. Error 1600.

Searched around for ages but in the end tried the method i used for downgrading from 3.0 to 2.2.1 a few months ago.

Here is a quick guide, this should also stop all other errors.

Download Winpwn 2.5 Beta.
    Get hold of a copy of a custom 3.1 firmware for your device.
    You will also need a copy of the 2.0.2 firmware for your device.
    (Im not allowed to link these but search in google and you will find them easy)

Install Winpwn 2.5 beta (if on windows 7 or vista install for compatibility mode for XP SP2) run it and follow it as if you were going to jailbreak your device on 2.0.2. ie. select the 2.0.2 firmware and let it create a custom ispw.

When it asks you, put your device into DFU mode and when the pwnage process starts, wait for your device screen to turn white.

When the screen goes white close winpwn straight away and then open iTunes again. Hold shift and click restore. Navigate to your custom 3.1 ipsw and restore with that.

It will take a little longer than usual but it should work

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. gamepro127

gamepro127 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    And does it work with The New Ipod touch 3rd generation if I have a 3.1.1 restore file for the Ipod touch 3g?
    Thx and +rep your a good helpful member.

EDIT: Ahh cant find the button to add rep. Oh well enjoy your 5-star rated thread!
  3. Vince

Vince Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    There is no rep system anymore. And i'm not sure it'll work for the 3g iPods because you can't restore to 2.0.2 on them anyways.
  4. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It will only work on iPod touch 1G, iPhone 2G, and iPhone 3G.
  5. glassguitar75

glassguitar75 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Well thats good to know. In theory could i use this method with redsn0w lite and get the white screen and restore to 3.1 custom. If they had a custom firmware for ipod touch 2g 3.1
  6. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Yeah you can basicly use any app that gets the devices screen white.

What this basicly does is start the restore process.

In iTunes this process is done and errors are thrown at you, whereas because it is pwnage tool that is doing it, it allows it.

Then your in this mode where you have the device in the "start restore" mode. Where in this case you have an invalid boot image for the device so it just kind of sits there unable to do much but still in the restore process.

Then when you use iTunes to restore, iTunes must somehow see that the device has already started the restore process and continues it with the ipsw file you send it. Now providing a correct boot image and therefore allowing the restore process to carry on as normal.

This is why it takes a long time "Preparing iPhone/iPod" at the start.

[All assumption here, but should be something along those lines]
  7. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Helpful stuff. Added a link to this to the downgrade guide sticky.
  8. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Thanks

9. wyndwarrior

wyndwarrior Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Lol, there's no use for this anymore, just use iREB, it's alot faster and simpler with less installations and downloads. It works for mac and windows, iPhone 2g, iPhone 3g, and iPod touch 1G
  10. zDSpider

zDSpider Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    So it doesn't work on 2G touches ?

Yeah you can basicly use any app that gets the devices screen white.

I'm at A white screen. But it doesn't stay there. What other app is there to get to this screen, to trick iTunes into thinking the process already started. Because these 16xx errors are frigging killing me.

Edit: Holy sh*t it worked ! It previously stopped at "Verifying iPod restore with Apple..." and ended in the above mentioned white screen. I then unplugged the iPod from the computer, plugged it back in, unplugged it, quit iTunes, plugged it back in (so the white screen won't disappear), started iTunes and then it said it detected an iPod in recovery mode.

I then clicked the Restore button (not Shift-click) and now it seems the ball is rolling (so far). This better f***ing work you f***ing Apple employee bastards that can't code a f***ing decent f***ing app.

It worked.

Now I'm going to click "Set up as a new iPod" instead of restoring from backup. iPod touch Aficionados and above should know by now why.