[Guide] RedSn0w Jailbreak For 3.0 Firmware

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 3.0 Jailbreak' started by jayree, Jun 22, 2009.

1. jayree

jayree New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Seen a few people still asking how to jailbreak their iPod/Phone with redsn0w still. So decided to post a guide.

This guide is for both WINDOWS and MAC.

Note: This guide is written from a windows user, Yet it should be straight forward to do if your a mac user.

Before I start this jailbreak will only jailbreak the following devices:

iPod Touch 1st Generation
    iPod Touch 2nd Generation

iPhone (also unlocks this device.)
    iPhone 3G

NOTE: IT WILL NOT JAILBREAK THE IPHONE 3GS!!!

Okay lets get started on the guide.

Step 1:
    Restore/Upgrade your device to 3.0 Via iTunes. This should start a download then the restore process.

Step 2:
    While the 3.0 firmware is downloading. Download RedSn0w from one of the following links:

Mac - Here
    Windows - Here

Once downloaded create a new folder on your desktop and extract the .zip file into it.

Step 3:
    Once your 3.0 firmware is downloaded and installed on your device. Locate on your computer:

For iPhone -
    C:\Users\YOUR-USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates

For iPod -
    C:\Users\YOUR-USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates

Note: If you do not see AppData go to folder options and tick 'Show Hidden Files/folder'

Once in that folder you will see your 3.0 Firmware, It will have a name similar to iPod2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw or iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw

Copy that file into the RedSn0w folder you created on your desktop (to make it easier to locate, you can delete it after you've jailbroken your device)

Step 4:
    Plug your device into your computer and turn it off. (Do not plug in through a usb hub, plug directly into a back port if possible).

Step 5:

Launch redsn0w.exe (or the mac version if your a mac user)
    You will get a screen where you are asked to locate your .ipsw file. Click browse and navigate to the file you copied earlier on.

Step 6:
    Read over the next steps until you get to the one where it checks to make sure you are plugged in and turned off.
    Get prepared to boot your device into DFU mode when clicking next.

Click next when ready and follow the steps to boot into DFU mode.

Once booted into DFU the jailbreak will start being loaded onto your device. Once the jailbreak process has been completed, Your device will be successfully jailbroken.

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. TeNsTrKe15

TeNsTrKe15 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  3. Daverick

Daverick Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    its a very good guide..
    but.. when I click the first next (after locating the IPSW file) and it says "Connecting to Server" the redsn0w shuts off..
    it did that on every version of the redsn0w (0.7, 0.7.1, 0.7.2)..
    and it only happends on my computer.. (im running on XP Home Edision with Service Pack 3).. iTunes is up-to-date and iPod Touch 2G is running the latest 3.0 firmware..

Any suggestions? because I already tried shutting off firewall, antivirus and stuff and it still wont work..
  4. jayree

jayree New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Sounds like a firewall issue. Although you've turned firewall off :s.... Try right clicking redsn0w.exe and running as admin? If not, make your firewall accept redsn0w.exe, im running Windows 7 Norton beta, pops up asking if I want to allow.

Jay.
  5. Daverick

Daverick Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    It is allowed on firewall although the firewall im using is the one that norton (my antivirus) gives.. (Norton Internet Security).
    The user that im running is an admin but Im not sure I can acctualy do that (like in vista) because im running on XP..
  6. jayree

jayree New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Windows XP has something like.

Run as...

Then a window pops up which at the bottom you will see administrator.

You can also try going into compatibility and seeing if putting on XP sp2 will help?

Jay.
  7. Daverick

Daverick Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I don't see the administrator option..
    In the compability options all the options I've got are: Win 95, Win NT 4.0 (SP5), Win 98/ME, Win 2000.
    I dont have the XP SP2 option.. =(
  8. fireboy22333

fireboy22333 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    where would i find the 3.0 IPSW on windows XP home edition?
  9. jayree

jayree New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Same location as mentioned above.

Edit: You have to have downloaded it VIA iTunes for it to be there.
  10. ʈ σ η y

ʈ σ η y New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    same problemo as daverick :O