[GUIDE] Multiple Icons for 1 App!

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Sunrisemoon, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Sunrisemoon

Sunrisemoon New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ok, so this may not sound very useful, but I just discovered how to get multiple icons for one app! The reason I am posting this is because I have seen some people asking how they could do this.
    *ATTENTION*
    This is not making another app, this links to the original app and is done with webclips.
    *ATTENTION1*
    Some apps don't work with this (because of a plist identifier I am guessing).
    To check if the app will work without going through all the trouble to create another icon/webclip, open Safari on your iPod and type in the name of the app you want to have another icon/link of followed by :// (E.g. Clock://). I've found that most of the apps in the /Applications folder (not /var/mobile/Applications folder, /Applications) will not work. This means most jailbreak and default apps. I'm working on finding the identifier that will allow *all* apps to be linked to. If you know this identifier, please PM me its location and I will add it to the guide.
    Edit: Kyle1320 has found how to make *all* apps work! His how-to post is under this one, or you can follow this link.

Things needed:
    1. SSH or iFile (search to find a good guide)
    2. iPod needs to be jailbroken *obviously*
    3. If SSHing, you need a good plist editor.

Guide

1. Open Safari on your iPod, type anything into the URL bar, and click 'Go'.

2. Tap the '+' button at the bottom of the screen and tap 'Add to Homescreen'. Now enter a name for the app you would like to have multiple icons (it doesn't need to be the name of the app to work; it can be anything). Now tap the 'Add' button.

3. SSH or open iFile on your iPod and navigate to the /var/mobile/Library/Webclips folder.

4. In this folder, if you have other webclips already, you will see some other folders with numbers and then a '.webclip' extension. Tap on one of them, open the 'Info.plist' and scroll down to the bottom of the plist. If you see whatever you entered into the URL bar originally. If you see a different address, you are looking at the wrong webclip and you should look in a different '.webclip' folder.

5. Edit the plist and erase whatever you had entered originally (the last thing in the plist before </string> </dict> and </plist>). Replace it with with the name of the app and :// after that (E.g. cydia:// if I wanted to link to Cydia).

6. Save, and, if you are SSHing, copy the newly edited Info.plist back into the webclip folder you were in and make sure it overwrites the old one. Go to springboard, and tap the new webclip. It should open Safari for a second and then open your app! Enjoy!
  2. kyle1320

kyle1320 Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    this is pretty neat. For anyone who would like to use this with app store apps or any other app that this doesn't work with, heres how:

via SSH or iFile, go into the app's folder (/Applications/(app name).app for a default app or one installed through cydia/rock/icy, or /var/mobile/applications/xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx/(app name).app for app store apps) and open Info.plist. Scroll down to where you see

<key>CFBundleSupportedPlatforms</key>
    <array>
    <string>iPhoneOS</string>
    </array>

and if under that you see
    <key>CFBundleURLTypes</key>
    then the app already supports this trick. However, if it is not there, then simply add this code after
    <key>CFBundleSupportedPlatforms</key>
    <array>
    <string>iPhoneOS</string>
    </array>

Code:
    <key>CFBundleURLTypes</key>
    <array>
    <dict>
    <key>CFBundleURLName</key>
    <string>(application identifier)</string>
    <key>CFBundleURLSchemes</key>
    <array>
    <string>(app name)</string>
    </array>
    </dict>
    </array>

Replace (application identifier) with the identifier, which can be found farther up in the plist under
    <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>. It should look like com.(developer).(app name)

Then replace (app name) with basically anything you want, this is what you would enter in before :// in the webclips plist. So you can put in anything you want, but you should probably put the app's name there.

Save the plist and respring. Then just follow Sunrisemoon's above instructions, but put whatever you replaced (app name) with infront of ://

Hope that wasn't too confusing.

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. Sunrisemoon

Sunrisemoon New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks! Want me to add that to the OP?
  4. kyle1320

kyle1320 Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    fine by me
  5. Sunrisemoon

Sunrisemoon New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ok, thanks! I'll put that you wrote it.
  6. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    i could hug you right now, ive been looking for this for ages!
  7. Sunrisemoon

Sunrisemoon New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Lol, you're welcome

8. mat1111fun

mat1111fun New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I bet this is very helpful for the people with iNav themes that neeed multiple icons for 1 app
  9. J-rad

J-rad New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    awww man

, this doesn't seem to work with apps like clock and calendar.

EDIT:
    Unless....I think perhaps this doesn't work with 3.0 because no apps will work.
  10. brsniteshade

brsniteshade New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    or you can put them in a folder with catgories redownload them and your se tmay make two files though and only works for appstore