Guide me on upgrading my PC?

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by Sup3rsonic, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Sup3rsonic

Sup3rsonic New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Hey guys.

So I have a Dell Dimension e520 and instead of buying a new computer I am just going to upgrade it. Here are the specs I can get from the PC:

Please Register or Log in to view images

UPDATE: Geekbench Result

I am going to buy 1GB RAM from Crucial who I have bought from before. I am currently using 1GB + 2x 512MB sticks so I will up it to 3GB RAM.

I am also going to buy a 23/24" widescreen HD monitor.

I am also going to buy a new graphics card and I have been recommended to buy this: ATI RADEON HD 4670

I would like anyone with knowledge on what would work with my computer to post what they think I should also upgrade to. I may not upgrade to it asap but this thread will be great for me to look back on an remember what to buy.

Thanks in advance.

LIST

1GB RAM - http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=Dimension E520

ATI RADEON HD 4670 Graphics Card - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Graphics-Si...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1271879558&sr=8-1

23/24" Monitor - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....79553&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_4455wt_1002
  2. iPwn

iPwn Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Ok:

For Graphics Card: Don't get the HD 4670, get an nVidia 9800GT. It's more powerful for a lower price. http://www.buy.com/prod/pny-geforce...-2-0-xlr8-video-card/q/loc/101/212695641.html

For RAM: Just get 1-2 sticks of DDR2 1 GB RAM

Monitor: Whatever you want

CPU: If you want to upgrade your CPU, I would recommend a Core 2 Duo or an i3, but idk if YOUR motherboard is compatible.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    The 9800GT is a lot better. It's better than/equal to an ATi HD 4850, which is like 2-3 times better than the 4670.
  3. Sup3rsonic

Sup3rsonic New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    So would this nVidia 9800GT work with my PC yeah? I'l buy that one then, thanks.

How do I find out if the CPU would work with my motherboard? Should I just buy a new motherboard and a new CPU?
  4. iPwn

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Yes it would work, as long as you have a PCI Express slot x16, but that model that you specifically chose isn't very good. It has 512 mb GDDR3 RAM and 512 mb integrated. A 1 GB dedicated GDDR3 is better.

Hold on I'm looking for one for you

5. Sup3rsonic

Sup3rsonic New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  6. Sup3rsonic

Sup3rsonic New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  7. iPwn

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Yeah that's a nice CPU that you found. I'm checking if it's compatible.
  8. Sup3rsonic

Sup3rsonic New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I will pay that, it's fine.

I'm willing to pay £100 for a graphics card and £150 for a monitor and £100 processor. So if I buy the i3 will it work out of the box or will I need to replace my motherboard?

Edit: ok thanks

9. iPwn

Device:
    Nexus 4
    AAAHHH!!! hold on! Your power supply is only 305 Watts. there's no way you can get any Graphics card working in there better than an 8600GT.

Definitely upgrade your power supply before you buy any CPU/GPU.

the user manual had no info about ur other board, so i'll look on the internet now.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I would recommend 450-550 Watts if you want to upgrade your system with a graphics card and a new processor.

400 Watts is the bare minimum requirement for a 9800GT, and 450 for an HD 4670.
  10. Sup3rsonic

Sup3rsonic New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Okay. I need to go but I will be back in 20 minutes. Could you link me to a cheap power supply 450-550 Watts (doesn't matter what site) for when I come back?

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to building PC's and buying parts but I'm learning

Thanks