GUIDE: Manually Add Album Art to iTunes ( Part 1 )

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by BoomBox-Creations, Apr 19, 2009.

?

Do you want part 2?

Poll closed Apr 29, 2009.
  1. Yes

20.0%
  2. No. ( give reason )

40.0%
  3. I Like Pie

40.0%
  1. BoomBox-Creations

BoomBox-Creations Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    This guide was written for iTunes 8 on Windows XP/Vista, Simply because i havent had an ipod for long now ( 1 month ) and i haven't had a previous version of iTunes prior to Version 8

also, a quick request, mac users that are familiar with both Win and Mac systems, if you could run through this guide and PM me with the Mac equivalent of menus and shortcuts, it would be greatly appreciated =D

Well.... lets get started...

Heres what you need:

• Computer with iTunes 8
    • iPod with album art compatibility ( nano's, touch's, iPhone, classic, iPod original, and all others that have a colour screen... )
    • USB cable from iPod to Computer with iTunes

The Method:

Ok. Part 1 ( this one ) is a single song. and the second part ( coming soon! ) is a dozen of songs from a single album.

Now, for my example, I'm using "Kaiser Chiefs - Never Miss a Beat"

This first bit is assuming you dont know what the album is, so find the song you want, go into the iTunes store and search the song name. So ill be searching "Never Miss a Beat"

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/4079/img01.png ( click for image )

Now there will most likely be many things there, depending on if you've chosen a song title that has many artists. Now find the one you want.

My one is easy. There are only a few options under Albums...

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/7287/img02.png ( click for image )

Now. There are 2 there made by Kaiser Chiefs. I want to look at them 2.

http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/2051/img03.png ( click for image )

Im going to use the top one "Off With Their Heads", simply because it is the album it came from and not the single. the EP on this one is the single.

Now.

When you have figured the name of the album, go onto Google Images ( USE FIREFOX! ) and search for the album's name with "album art" on the end of it.. so in my search bar, it will be written "off with their heads album art" it isnt case sensitive...

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/3330/img04.png ( click for image )

Now there are probably 3 trillion images of album pictures there. We want one that is at least the dimensions of 500px x 500px Some, i have got some that are up to 2000px x 2000px. The bigger you get the better. Simply because, as far as i know, the biggest screen on the iPods, is on the Touch/iPhone, which is 320px x 480px

So the bigger the album art is the clearer the image you will get.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Now, if you can see with my over-resized image, i have 3 images there with 500px x 500px im going to use one of them. click on it and go to full view. save that picture where you wont loose it. ive make a folder in my Music folder in My Documents called Album Art. all my album art for my songs on iTunes are going into there.

Now. once you have saved that picture, go back into your iTunes library, and select the song you want. right click on it. find the option "Get Info" it's usually the first one....

When you click the link, unless you have been in there before, the below screen will come up.

Now. Click on the Info tab. Where it says "Album" type in the album name. in my case, i will be putting in "Off With Their Heads"

Now, once you have done that, still in that box. Click on the "Artwork" tab.

There is usually an empty box there. Click on Add.

Now another box will come up and find the album picture and press open when you click the image.

Now. the image is in that box.
    if its not, redo the steps above...

Press OK to close that box and sync your iPod. The album art should show up on your iPod for that song now...

It will also show up on the Coverflow on the iPod Touch, iPod Nano ( new ) and the cover flow in iTunes...

( in that picture, the albums, left to right:
    Greenday - International Superhits!, Hinder - Extreme Behavior, Jonas Brothers - Its About Time, Kaiser Chiefs - Off With Their Heads, The Killers - Hot Fuss, The Killers - Sam's Town, Kings of Leon - Only By the Night ( part 2! ) )
    Thanks for reading =D

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post them!

PART 2 IS NOT THAT FAR AWAY!
  2. neetan

neetan Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    nice but is there any way to automatically get album art?
  3. Renteura

Renteura Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Right click -> Get Album Artwork
  4. neetan

neetan Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Is it free?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I tried get alum artwork but i dont know if it works because i clicked a song and clicked get album artwork and it said get album artwork and i clicked that but no album artwork came up for the song
  5. Renteura

Renteura Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Of course it is free.

Check to see if the song title and album are correct, and match the title in iTunes. If it still doesn't work, the song just might not be in iTunes. (ex: AC/DC songs are not in iTunes)
  6. BoomBox-Creations

BoomBox-Creations Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)

It does work but you need to get everything right.

The Album title, the song title, the artist, the album artist ( not the same as the song artist ) and some times teh composer, depending if the song is a remix of the original.

My guide is there for anyone that doesnt know the stuff of teh song eg. if you have downloaded music off of limewire or some other site....

or if your one of the ones that had downloaded songs from when apple first released the iTunes store, songs didnt come with album art. but it had all the info of the song...
  7. neetan

neetan Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    ok thanks