iOS 4.0 [GUIDE] How to upgrade to iOS 4.0 using TinyUmbrella

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by MAMBO04, Sep 11, 2010.

1. MAMBO04

MAMBO04 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hello all,

Basically, my cousin wanted me to put iOS 4 on his iPod Touch 2G, so i hooked it up and downloaded iOS 4, iTunes + Shift + Restore, and bam i got hit with the error 3194. So i checked his Cydia, he had 3.1.3 previously with SHSH blobs for 4.0 and 4.1, and the thread here about upgrading to iOS 4 does not work anymore as Apple has stopped signing. You'll just get hit with that error if you try. So, i used TinyUmbrella and it worked a treat, so i thought i'd share it here.

I'll be using the iPod touch 2G as the prime example here, but you can use this tut on others. Just choose the right 4.0 in TinyUmbrella (Step 5).

Step 1: Download iOS 4.0 (Google it)

Step 2: Connect your iPod Touch (haven't tested others but i'm sure they work too) and let iTunes back it up.

Step 3: Download TinyUmbrella from here: http://cache.firmwareumbrella.com/umbrella-4.1.4.exe

Step 4: Disable your Anti-Virus AND then run TinyUmbrella as an Administrator, when it opens press 'Start TSS Server', it'll kill iTunes, you'll need to restart iTunes

Step 5: Now you can display your SHSH but i'm assuming you have SHSH for 4.0, so TICK Advanced options and hit the drop down menu for 'Request Version'. Choose iPod2G 4.0 (8A293), and press 'Reset'

Step 6: Go to iTunes, hit Shift+Restore, choose the 4.0.ipsw, and after it's extracted etc you should be restoring to i0S 4.0

Please Register or Log in to view images

Then just jailbreak it with www.jailbreakme.com (on your iPod) and you'll have 4.0 jailbroken on your iPod Touch.

Hope this helps some people, because i read that some people didn't know what to do.

P.S: Not enough time to take step by step screenshots but i will if people want them.

Cheers!
  2. manik

manik New Member

definately didnt work for me
  3. iSn0w

iSn0w Banned

Most of this is unnecessary. You can leave your antivirus on, the tss server shouldnt kill itunes, that stuff about advanced options is unnecessary, all you need to do is hit check shsh, if it says you have it there, start tss server and then restore.
  4. MAMBO04

MAMBO04 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Well for me tinyumbrella was not starting properly meaning the port for TSS server wasn't open, so disabling av helped open it. And not really, I did that and shsh for 4.0.2 ce up so I chose 4.0, it's just an extra step incase some newbies don't get it. Also tinyumbrella kills iTunes if it's open, try it and you'll see.
  5. Psoul

Psoul Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    HELP! Mine said:
    Cannot listen on port 80! TSS Server will not work!
    09/12/2010 13:49:43.278 Caching shsh files...
    09/12/2010 13:49:43.288 Found [0] shsh files to cache... 09/12/2010 13:49:43.295 Cached [0] shsh files
    09/12/2010 13:49:43.308 TinyUmbrella is not able to run on port 80. Please check your hosts file permissions and/or applications that use port 80 and shut them down.
  6. iSn0w

iSn0w Banned

Go to your firewall and add a new port called '80'
  7. Psoul

Psoul Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    thanks.

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. manik

manik New Member

still not working for me ends up in recovery mode after