Guide: How to Spoof your MAC Address

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by pcoon55, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pcoon55

pcoon55 New Member

This a guide that will show you how to temporarily change your MAC address.

This can be useful for many reasons, none which I urge you to do. Since the IP Address of your iPod changes when you access different networks, the only thing your device can be identified with is it's Mac Address. If you do not want to leave your trace, you can spoof your MAC Address. However, I do NOT recommend doing so. This could also be helpful if a network blocked your MAC Address from accessing. If you change it, you have a fresh start.

What you'll need:
    1) Jailbroken iPod Touch/iPhone​
    2) Term-vt100 Application​

First, to view your current MAC address you can go to Settings --> General --> About, and go down to Wi-Fi Address.
    [​IMG]

Next, launch Term-vt100. To view your MAC address again, type in 'ifconfig' and press return. Your MAC Address is located at the bottom after "ether".
    [​IMG]

Now to change it. Type in the command:
    'ifconfig en0 ether 00:00:00:00:00:00'​
    The zeroes should be your desired MAC Address. Remember that it should consist of 12 numbers/letters seperated by colons.
    After you type in the command, press return. Nothing should happen. Your cursor should move to the next line with the # sign. If something appears, you typed it in wrong or an error occurred. Try retyping it. Your screen should look like this:
    [​IMG]

Now let's see if it worked. Type in 'ifconfig'. The same thing that came up earlier should come up again. Look down to the bottom where it says "ether". If it says the MAC address you typed in, it worked.
    [​IMG]

This will not save if you reboot your iPod Touch. I am sure that there is a script you can run every time you boot it, but its not a big deal. I do not boot my iPod that often, and the command is relatively simple.

Also, the changed MAC Address will not be reflected in Settings--> General--> About. To check your MAC Address, just enter 'ifconfig' and look for "ether".

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. JonSingh12

JonSingh12 New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    wow very nice
  3. Firespray

Firespray Banned

So if you reboot your iPod, the address will reset itself back to default?
  4. ipodtouch1234

ipodtouch1234 Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    nvm... it has allowed me to use hotel internet that I paid for on my laptop without paying again for my iPod.
  5. pcoon55

pcoon55 New Member

Yes,
    When you reboot you iPod, it will revert to the original MAC Address. You could probably make a script that would execute the command every time you reboot, but its not a big deal. I don't turn off my iPod frequently, and the command is relatively easy.
  6. fabiansti

fabiansti New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    when is this like useful?? i mean i know it'll change it but does it do anything else besides that?
  7. pcoon55

pcoon55 New Member

Actually yes, I saw this come up in another thread.

A student wanted access to their school's wireless network. The network only had MAC address filtering enabled for their security. In order for the student to access, he needed to have a MAC address that was allowed access to the router. So, he needed to obtain the MAC address of a computer in school (type 'ipconfig/all' on a windows computer in command prompt) and use it for his Touch. He could now successfully use his schools internet.
  8. robcoffee

robcoffee New Member

This is really useful for a range of situations, thanks for sharing :)

In the UK The Cloud offer wi-fi hot spot access in a range of shops, you can pay for unlimted access to wifi for £7 per month, you get automatically logged into it by the MAC address of your device which you have to supply when you register for the service.
  9. Underdawg

Underdawg New Member

Hmmm..This is odd....Why am I getting this message:

#ifconfig en0 ether 00:00:00:00:00:00
    ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): permission denied
  10. Underdawg

Underdawg New Member

well....I just realized why: I'm logged in on my iPod as mobile, when I should be logged in as root

sooo....I put in "su"
    and then I put in "alpine" as the password....but terminal says that's incorrect?!?.....that's what the password is if I SSH through my computer....
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.