GUIDE: How To Preserve Battery Life

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by chort27, Apr 25, 2008.

1. chort27

chort27 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I compiled this quick guide on the best ways to conserve your iPod's battery life. After having some real trouble with myself, I searched around and found a bunch of different methods that worked for me, and I also added in some of my own.

1) It is best to charge your iPod in short bursts to keep your battery from breaking down. Although, doing this also makes the battery think it is fully charged when really it is at 99%. This may not seem like a big deal, but over time it can accumulate quite a bit. To fix this, just let your battery drain all the way until the connect to itunes symbol comes up. Then charge it ALL THE WAY in one burst. You should only have to do this after about 30 charges or so.

2) Keep brightness low! This is a real killer, it helps a TON! Try to keep it under 50%, I usually keep mine at about 25%.

3) Make sure your iPod doesn't have to do anything automatically. If you have it set to automatically check for mail, turn that off. Turn autolock to one minute as well... Keeping alarms off and calendar events to a minimum may also help.

4) Keep it sleeping when not using it or when listening to music, just by tapping the power button once. This turns off the display and is a real life saver.

5) TURN ASK TO JOIN WIFI NETWORKS OFF! This one is also a killer, it drains like a b*tch! This is probably the MOST IMPORTANT one of all!

6) If you aren't using wifi, turn that off as well... it uses quite a bit of battery. Turning wifi off will ALSO disable SSH (if you are jailbroken) but if you can't turn wifi off, get bossprefs and turn SSH off. It's JUST AS MUCH of a killer.

7) Keep your iPod unjailbroken and updated to the latest firmwares. This one isn't NECESSARY but firmware 1.1.4 has WAY more battery life than any others, simply because apple found new ways to conserve the life, and they will continue to do so in upcoming firmwares. Using apps and jailbreak games drains your battery TO HELL. Also, if you have anything "customized" using customize or summerboard this will also drain your battery faster than the black background and simple icons. Keeping the firmware up to date is the most important however.

If you use all of these, your battery will last a long time. I come home from school every day with my battery practically FULL on my iPod. Like above 85%. I wake up at 7:00, unplug my iPod from charging around 7:30, then I keep it with me until I get home at 6:30 PM and the battery is generally full... today I watched an entire movie on it, and used it for various things, and when I came home the battery was at 87% at 11:00 PM with no charging!

Hope this helps some people!!
    14 people like this.
  2. BadguinEater

BadguinEater New Member

Nice

Great guide!
    +rep

You might also want to mention that if you leave SSH on, it drains the battery quicker.

Please Register or Log in to view images

1 person likes this.
  3. osi umenyoria

osi umenyoria New Member

awesome guide thank you so much +5 rep
    1 person likes this.
  4. hakk79

hakk79 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    +5 rep. Rofl.

Yeah, i do the same thing. I ran some test like what you did and the results were the same. I watched all of superbad and I had a full battery!
    1 person likes this.
  5. chort27

chort27 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I will add that thanks

also rep returned to all who gave me

6. hourog

hourog New Member

Didn't know about draining the battery completely - great guide. Thanks.

+ rep
  7. Chucky102

Chucky102 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    great! thanks
  8. Ryoto

Ryoto New Member

ur not supposed to drain the battery completely.. its better to charge ipod touch batteries frequently. but u need to completely drain it every 30 charges or so. it has something to do with the battery gauge.
  9. awal

awal Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
  10. tvetinho

tvetinho New Member

I'm no expert at this, but I think I'll have to agree with ryoto. I think I've heard that the iPod uses a battery where it doesn't help to drain the battery completely before charging. It is better to charge it more frequently.. But as said, I'm no expert at this, so i might be wrong.