[GUIDE] How to make the most out of your Status Bar

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by UKSGreen, Dec 20, 2009.

1. UKSGreen

UKSGreen New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Apppoligies but this website is saying I am using more than 10 images even though I am not. Therefore it will not allow me to update this guide. Please visit this link for an updated guide:
    http://modmyi.com/forums/file-mods/695060-guide-how-make-most-out-your-status-bar.html.

This is a guide explaining what to do to your status bar to make it as useful as possible.
    Some of you may have already done this, or may think it is all pretty obvious to do. However this guide is mainly aimed at those would might not have realised everything or those are not as 'jailbreak literate'.

EDITS:
    - Added section about Weathericon
    - Changed some picture sizes to just show the status bar
    - Added links to guides on making a custom carrier logo

[1] The first thing to do would be to create the maximum amount of space possible in the status bar.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To make maximum space in the status bar, do the following:

1) Download 'MakeItMine' of Cydia:

This allows you to change your carrier name (in the top left). Having the carrier name is pretty useless, as i'm sure we all know who our carrier is

Please Register or Log in to view images

And so after downloading MIM(MakeItMine) chance your carrier name to just a single space
    After MIM your status bar should look like this:

Alternatively to changing the carrier name you can also create your own carrier logo. (Credit to Wim66 for the suggestion)
    I would like to be able to explain how to create your own, however I am rather pathetic at things such as photoshop so I will just link a guide

http://modmyi.com/forums/skinning-t...eating-text-carrier-logo-using-photoshop.html

http://www.iphonealley.com/forums/showthread.php?t=474

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) Download off Cydia an application called 'Battery Control':

This app is a paid app with a trial. However i'm sure some of you will find a way to get it for free....

This app will allow you to change your battery to just a numeric value (e.g. 69) instead of the little symbol, the numerical value and the percentage sign ( e.g. 69% [=] )

Once this has been completed your phone should look like so:

3) The final thing to do is if you have a Winterboard theme (or just edit your info.plist) edit it like so:
    - Find in the theme folder a file called info.plist
    - Add to the file:

<key>TimeStyle</key>
    <string>margin-left: 0px; padding-top:2px; font-size: Xpx; letter-spacing: .01em;</string>

Change 'X' to whatever number you want, the smaller the number, the smaller the size of the clock. I recommend around 12.

Make sure this is placed between the <plist version="x.x"><dict> at the top
    and the </dict></plist> at the bottom of the file.

This will change the time at the top of the screen to as small as you wish.

And after, the time should look like this:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[2] The next thing you want to do is add things to your status bar.

1) The first thing you will want to get (and almost all of you probably already have) is SBSettings off Cydia.
    This will allow you to have multiple toggles (e.g. turning on and off 3G) from your status bar. Also another feature of SBSettings is that under the 'more' button you can add a few things to your status bar. For example you can have it show your available free memory, the date and a few more things.

2) The second and perhaps one of the most important things you will want to get is called 'Status Notifier' and it can be found on Cydia. Once again this app is a paid one, but yet again im sure many of your have your 'ways' of getting it for free.

This app will allow you to have notifications in your status bar. For example you can set it to show a phone icon in your status bar when you have a missed call, an envelope when you have mail and a text bubble when you have a text.

Once StatusNotifier has been configured your status bar could/should look like this:

3) Another thing to add to the status bar is…. the weather

By downloading 'Weathericon' from Cydia (for free) you can have the weather show up in the status bar as either:
    - Just the temperature,
    - Just an icon (e.g. A picture of a sun if its sunny

)
    - Or both

Once you have downloaded this app, simply respring, go into your settings -> Weather Icon. Then under 'Status Bar' enable 'show Image' and/or 'Show Temp'
    By default Weather Icon uses the first place in the stock Weather app. However, this can be changed on this same page.

Thanks for reading this guide, I hope it helped you and as always; comments are appreciated

If you have any other ideas or if I have missed something please reply and I will edit this guide and give you the credit.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Rainstar182

Rainstar182 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Oh HELLO. Thank you. And I just wanted to know the name of the theme thanks.
  3. UKSGreen

UKSGreen New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    The theme used the the later pictures is called 'illumine' and is available on Cydia.
  4. Rainstar182

Rainstar182 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks allot man. BTW, nice guide.