iOS 3.1 [GUIDE] Downgrading OS 3.1 -> 3.0

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by studangerous, Sep 24, 2009.

1. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The question 'how do I downgrade' comes up whenever a new firmware is released. It's a very simple process and you just need to make sure you correctly set your device in DFU mode.

Note: Currently you can't downgrade OS 3.1 on an iPhone 3GS (unless you backed up your 3.0 sigs via Cydia) or on the 32GB & 64GB iPod touch 3G (no lower firmware available). Also, despite the fact that no one has seen any material hardware changes in the new 8GB iPod touch, reports are that it won't downgrade below the OS 3.1.1 firmware it was shipped with. However for all other iDevices you can downgrade if you follow these steps:

Instructions:

1. Open iTunes and connect your iDevice via the USB cable.

2. Have the OS 3.0 firmware file location handy.

3. Put your iDevice into DFU (Device Firmware upgrade) mode. How to:
      • simultaneously press the Power and Home buttons for a count of 10 seconds
      • release the Power button while continuing to hold the Home button
      • a pop up 'device recognised in recovery mode' message should appear in iTunes
      • note that your device will only be in DFU mode if the screen is black. If the screen shows any kind of image then it's in recovery mode, in which case repeat the process to activate DFU mode.

4. Once in DFU hold the Shift button on your keyboard and click the Restore button in iTunes. Navigate to your 3.0 firmware file and set the restore process going.

5. All being well your device should now be downgraded.

______________________________________​

Troubleshooting

If you have issues with getting your iDevice into DFU then have a look at the following guides here (iCliarified) and here (youtube) to check your process. Keep on trying as sometimes it's difficult to get the timing exactly right.

Also note that there is some talk you may have to uninstall iTunes 9.0 and install iTunes 8.2 to downgrade, though there are many reports that this is not necessary. I'm including this point here for clarity and discussion.

Some are stating that if you're getting error codes kicked up after downgrading and your device is not booting, fire up QuickPwn on a Mac follow the onscreen instructions and your iPhone/iPod touch should boot up with the downgraded firmware installed.

Some are also using a prog called iRestore to get out of the device lock up and error message. I'll post up more details as I find them.

iReb by iH8sn0w

[note that I have not tested or used this program so use it at your won risk] If you are having problems downgrading or if you are getting 16** eroors you may want to look at a small utility to help you called iReb by iH8sn0w. This utility only works for iPhone 2g, iPhone 3g and iPod touch 1G. Currently there is a Widows only version for 3.1 firmwares and below and a MAc version for 2.2 and below. See the iReb iPhone Wiki Entry and the iH8sn0w blog for more details.

If you still can't downgrade then check out these other useful threads that detail workarounds:

[How to] Downgrade from 3.1 to 3.0 for iPhone 3G
    Downgrade 3.1.1 to 3.0 on 1st gen & 2nd gen
    [Guide] Restore 3.1 without errors

As I find more details on downgrading and troubleshooting problems I will post details up here.

_______________________________________​

Post up here with any further questions or comments.

[thanks to wryun, rkdigital, mrDodi, Ryan & Mr FunMan]
  2. Cl8rs

Cl8rs Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I tried exactly that and iTunes gave me an error. My iPod was in DFU Mode because iTunes said it has found and iPod in recovery mode.
  3. Gershmer

Gershmer Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    This isn't the only way. Some people (including me) have reported that you can Shift-click "Check for updates" and point it to a 3.0 ipsw. (In iTunes 9.0, I haven't tried 9.0.1)
  4. Cl8rs

Cl8rs Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    That didn't work for me either

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. n_848

n_848 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    why dont you just back up ur ipod and then shift+press restore, locate the firmware and select it?
    it worked for me
    p.s. for error 20, just restarting the computer should do the trick
  6. SoBe

SoBe Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i tried this with iTunes 9 but it didnt work. haven't tried it with iTunes 8.2 though
  7. cryptohax

cryptohax Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    In simple words. DFU mode. Restore. haha

8. simeezee

simeezee New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    i got error 1601 like a lot of other people here.
  9. Happyman7

Happyman7 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    When he says "iDevice", does he mean the/a apple device? e.g. My iPod Touch—is it an "iDevice"? I just want to clarify this

10. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    iDevice = iPod touch or iPhone