[GUIDE] Apply screen protectors perfectly! (Old and New)

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by -tcq42-, Jan 11, 2009.

1. -tcq42-

-tcq42- Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ever wanted to put on a screen protector perfectly (No air bubbles, no lint under the screen)? I used to have massive trouble doing this correctly, but thanks to the great method thought of by ZAGG, it's no longer much of a problem.

What you will need
    1. Good microfiber cloth (the one that came with the iPod will do fine)
    2. Canned air (Trust me, you'll want to use it if you want it to be 100% spotless)
    3. A dust-free environment. Such as the bathroom or the kitchen table. Anywhere where carpet is not present.
    4. Any screen protector. It can be BSE, InvisibleSHIELD, or that free screen protector you get from some case you bought. It can even be some old one you found in your drawer from like a year ago.
    5. Squeegee
    6. A bowl of water, yes water.
    7. Hair-dryer
    8. Obviously, you need an iPod touch

For those of you who can put on screen protectors perfectly without any liquids, good for you. But if you're like me, and somehow wasted all their screen protectors before because you're too stupid to realize you can re-use them, this guide is perfect for you.

Instructions
    1. Get your bowl of water ready, make sure the bowl is big enough for the entire screen protector. Don't bend the protector, it will damage if you do so. It is best if you use purified water, but tap water is usually fine.

2. Wipe your screen off nicely. Make sure there is absolutely nothing on it. After you wipe it free of finger prints and lint, get the canned air ready. This is optional; however, if you want a spot-free installation, please do use. It will be even better if you can get somebody else to use the canned air for you, you'll see why.

3. Take the screen protector out of the water, put it up against a colored surface (preferably black) and rid of any dust or lint on it with your fingers. Once you're done with that, get ready to blow your screen with the canned air to get any other dust particles off. If you have another person with you to assist, this is when you need them.

4. Hold the screen protectors by the sides and ask the assistant nicely to blow the canned air at the screen to rid of any remaining dust (If you don't have anybody to help, have one hand holding the protector and the other on the trigger of the canned air bottle). Quickly put the protector on the iPod touch or iPhone and line it up as best as possible.

5. Wait for about 30 seconds for the protector to settle and start moving it around to where you think it will end up perfectly. Once that's done, take your squeegee and push any water out to the sides of the iPod. Make sure you don't push too hard, the protector will still move. It's okay if you get it in your home button, it will take care of itself. Wipe the water on the top of the screen protector off gently.

6. Let the iPod rest for about 15-20 minutes. After that, get your blow dryer ready. Put it on the lowest speed possible and the coldest temperature possible. Aim at the sides and the home buttons, because that's where the water is. Do this for about 2-3 minutes (more if you like) and the rest is up to mother nature.

7. Drying time depends on how much water you used. From my experience, it will dry in about 30 minutes (it won't be completely dry, water will be under the protector for a couple of days, but the iPod will be still completely functional). After this is done, you can use your iPod again. Although if you're patient, wait at least 6 hours if you don't want to screw your iPod up.

I've done this at least 5 times and my iPod is still working perfectly fine. If you have some screen protector lying around that you thought would never be usable again, there's still a chance you can rescue it.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any water damage done to your iPod. If you damaged it, it's probably because you used way too much water or you dropped your iPod in that bowl of water I told you to use. Use at your own risk!
  2. Iceman515

Iceman515 New Member

Nice tip, if you want, add in that if you take a shower first and get the room all steamy, you'll make the bathroom 100% dust free because the water will pull the dust down =), and you will be clean too lol
  3. -tcq42-

-tcq42- Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I've tried that before, it didn't work. :(
  4. M3rcer

M3rcer New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Can I re-use the screen protector I alredy put on my iPhone( Capsule Rebel )? o.0
    Yeh I know, dont call me stupid :p
  5. Iceman515

Iceman515 New Member

=(... try a longer shower? lol...
  6. -tcq42-

-tcq42- Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah, this is what the guide is for basically. Lol. This is how you re-use screen protectors.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    It probably wasn't steamy enough.
  7. M3rcer

M3rcer New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Im afraid of scratching the screen when trying to get off the film, Im not happy with the job i did putting it on, thats why I want to know.
  8. -tcq42-

-tcq42- Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Use a thin card, such as a credit card and poke around the edges of the screen protector. Some of it will overlap the little moat between the glass and the chrome bezel. You can take it off that way. It won't damage the screen or the screen protector.
  9. M3rcer

M3rcer New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    f***ing Capsule Rebel Screen Protector left Horrible Spots on my iPhone Screen, i tried to wipe them but they still there, any solution?
  10. -tcq42-

-tcq42- Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Get some water and put it on your cloth? You can try Windex if you're desperate.