GUIDE: 1.1.1 Jailbreak and Application Installation

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.x Jailbreak' started by Lemures, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Lemures

Lemures New Member

This guide will walk you through, step by step, the opening of your iPod touch to having all the major applications installed.

I got sick of having to check a hundred different resources in order to get my iPod touch jailbroken and customized the way I want it, so I took it upon myself to write this. I hope this works for you, and if it does, leave a comment and let me know what you think!

On a side note, I'm writing this at work. Huzzah for productivity!

--------------------------------

I took pictures before and after the opening of my box, but the camera that I "borrowed" from work ended up eating them, so if anybody wants to upload pictures, it would be appreciated.

First, make sure you have the following:
    -iTunes 7.4 or newer installed.
    -A new iPod touch at firmware 1.1.1.
    -Wifi

1) Jailbreaking
    a) Open up your new iPod touch. Notice that plastic cover? I left mine on, but I used a sharp knife to cut out (BE CAREFUL) the area around where the usb cable connects. This way you keep your free cheap plastic sleeve intact, but can still access your iPod. Open up that white bag, and take out the usb data cable. Plug that into your computer. Now plug the cord into the iPod touch.

b) iTunes should run automatically. You should be looking at this:

Please Register or Log in to view images

c) Rename your iPod as you see fit. I unchecked the "Automatically sync songs to my iPod" because I don't like it.

d) I chose register later. You can choose what you want.

e) You should see the following screen. Congratulations, you have an iPod touch? Now what are you going to do? Thats right. Hack the crap out of it. Lets get started.

2. Lemures

Lemures New Member

2) Installer and System Access
    a) Turn on your iPod touch and slide to unlock. Hit the Safari button. You may need to connect to your wifi first, but it should come up automatically. Navigate to http://www.slovix.com/touchfree/jb on your iPod touch. (NOTE: I got this information from http://www.slovix.com/touchfree/. It says to navigate to "dn.vc/jb/" but it did not work for me.)

b) You should see Safari crash out, and a downloading circle thing start spinning. Mine said things like "Extracting files" and "Patching graphics", then beeped at me. It took about 30 seconds. Assuming yours did the same, slide to unlock, and you should see two new programs: Installer and SSH. At this point in time I rebooted my iPod (hold down the sleep button for 5 seconds, turn off, then turn back on) just in case, but I do not know if you NEED to do this.

If 1.1.2 is out or you have the firmware or are interested, here is where you go to my other guide at http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8678 . Once this all settles down, I'll integrate it into this guide here.

c) Congratulations, you now have a jailbroken iPod! Lets start installing applications. Installer works by polling its "sources" to look for a list of programs to install. First, lets get Installer some more sources, so we have more programs to choose from. Touch the Installer icon. You may need to update, so hit Update Now, or if it doesnt come up, hit Update at the bottom and touch the update and hit Install in the upper right hand corner. This only takes a few seconds. Now, click Install at the bottom. Choose "All Packages", and find and choose "Community Sources". Press Install in the upper right hand corner. Wait until it is done.

d) Now lets install the BSD subsystem and OpenSSH so that we can put iPhone applications on the iPod touch. Hit the Install button again. Choose "All Packages". Find the BSD Subsystem, and install that. You may want to tap the screen every little bit, as this is a long download/install (took me a good few minutes), and you want to stop your iPod from going into sleep mode. Wait until this is done downloading and installing. Once it is done, go to Install again, and navigate to "System", and choose and install OpenSSH. Install it.

3) Getting SSH to work
    a) Now it is time to get SSH working so we can access files on the iPod touch. First, go to http://winscp.net/eng/index.php and download and install WinSCP. Make sure you reboot after the install, like it says, or this stuff wont work.

b) While your system is rebooting, lets get your iPod's IP address. On the main screen, choose Settings, Wifi, then hit the arrow next to the SSID you are connected to. You should see your iPod's IP address there. Mine is 10.10.10.117, so I will be using this for the rest of this guide. Replace this number with your own IP wherever applicable. Press and hold the home button to close out of this window.

c) Now run WinSCP. Choose New. You should see the following screen:

Host Name: iPod's IP
    Username: "root"
    Password: "alpine"

Click Save, then yes and yes.

d) Now you should see this:

Click your root@ip, and click Login.
    This may take a while. In fact, it is likely to time out, a few times. Make sure your iPod is on and not sleeping. If it says that the host has not answered, just keep waiting. I had to click abort and reconnect a few times before I finally got in. Expect this to be a frustrating step.

e) Eventually you should get to see this:

Go ahead and click Yes.
    Congratulations, you have SSHd into your iPod touch! Now we have direct access to your iPod's file system. Now what are we going to do? Close WinSCP and find some iPhone applications. (So go ahead and close WinSCP and read on, just remember how you got access.)
  3. Lemures

Lemures New Member

4) Installing iPhone applications

NOTE: If you have firmware 1.1.2, don't follow the link in step a. The 1.1.1 iPhone apps will not work on your 1.1.2 iPod touch. Once a download link is released for the 1.1.2 iPhone apps, I will (if I remember) update this link. If you already have the 1.1.2 iPhone apps for whatever, go ahead and follow the steps in step a, just using your 1.1.2 apps.

a) Check out http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1659 . michaelchan0427 has a great walkthrough here. Read the rest of this section, and then go follow his steps.

Notes:
    -Remember to have your iPod touch ON and not sleeping when you try to SSH in!
    -When you see this screen:

Make sure you double click that ".." a couple of times to get to the root directory. This confused me when I first did this.

MAKE SURE YOU SET PERMISSIONS

To set permissions in WinSCP, right click the file or folder (or multiple files/folders) and go to properties. Type in "755", and make sure to choose "Set group, owner and permissions recursively." THIS IS IMPORTANT. If you do NOT do this, these things will NOT work. Once you have followed all the steps to putting the iPhone applications on your iPod touch, you may need to reboot or sleep/wake your iPod touch.

b) Now go to Installer. Choose Install, Tweaks, then the Touch Calendar Fix. Install it. Now you should be able to add dates to your calendar. Feel free to screw around with your new applications for a bit, then read on!

c) On a bit of a side note, I installed "Dock" via Installer at this point to take screenshots. You can do the same if you wish, it really is a nifty little program. Right now my springboard looks like this:

4. Lemures

Lemures New Member

5) Customize and Themes
    a) Now you have some cool applications, but you want your iPod touch to LOOK cool as well, right? Lets get started on that. Head to installer and find and install "Customize". If you are like me, after installation, this thing will never run and will just keep crashing, so lets fix it.

b) First, go get a theme so we have things to change. Check out Installer and "Themes (Customize)". For this example I am using the LCARS theme. Install a theme.

c) Go here: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7011 . Do this just the way you installed the iPhone applications. Copy the folder over the old customize.app, located in "<root>/applications". DONT FORGET TO APPLY PERMISSIONS. Set the whole folder and its files to 755.

Note: Before I did this, I went here http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3141 and did this, but since the step I told you to do replaces the file anyway, I don't think that this is necessary. This step requires you to open and close Customize a bunch, and I don't know if you have to do that with the one I told you to do. *shrug*.

d) Now we want some different icons and backgrounds, right? Go to Installer, and install "Summerboard". Don't forget to restart your iPod like it says! This is important! Now your iPod touch should look something like this:

Notice that I changed the carrier icon to the LCARS one, to show that Customize is working.

e) Now that you've rebooted, lets put an actual theme on there. Though Summerboard comes with a few, for this example we will install a new one. Open up Instaler and check out the list of Themes for Summerboard. I suggest trying PlainJain, as I like it and am using it for this example. Install PlainJain.

f) Once it is installed, go to SMBPrefs on your home screen (springboard) and click Theme. Choose PlainJain. Press the home button to exit, then unlock, and look at your screen. Feel free to change it back now if you wish, but if you do not, your screen should look something like this:

6) Other Applications and things to do

Now you have a customizable iPod touch with iPhone applications! From here, you are pretty much ready to go, but I will list a few of the applications that I enjoy.
    -Mobile ToDoList is an essential for me. I use it more than any other app.
    -VNSea for remote desktop access to my home computer. This is actually pretty cool.
    -Term-vt100 is one of those apps that you will know whether or not you need. If you are sitting there asking yourself "do I need it", then you dont.
    -Lockbox I have heard is useful, but I have no need for it.
    -Sketches is fun if you are bored, as you can doodle.
    -Want a dictionary? Check out weDict, but dont forget to load a dictionary as well. I installed Merriam-Websters.
    -Apache webserver is awesome. Ive used it several times to host .doc and .pdf files for viewing. Check out http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2010&highlight=apache
    -I've used Stumbler a few times to look for wifi.
    -I use Apollo as my IM client, but others may work better for you.
    -This doesnt fit here, but check out http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5590 for setting up your mail with gmail.
    -For games, I've tried Tap Tap Revolution and sudoku. Both rather fun.

Increase your 3rd party application limit
    -Check out my other guide: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8692 . Also, if you do this, you should be able to save your applications/settings from a 1.1.1 to 1.1.2 transition.

-------------

I hope this was helpful. Questions/Comments? Email me at Lemures @ gmail . com, or post here. If you liked this, please let me know! I can survive off of feedback, so please let me know what you think!
  5. Rawd

Rawd New Member

Amazing post sir! I'm sure that many here will find it helpful.
  6. Lemures

Lemures New Member

I just spent the past 4 hours working on it, I sure hope somebody finds it useful =P. I should probably get back to work now. *sigh*

PS: I accept paypal =P
  7. ricecook

ricecook New Member

nice guide..i love the screen shots make it way way to easy...can you make one for how to free more space on the application because im not sure im getting the instuctions very well..thanks
  8. TripleH13

TripleH13 New Member

great tutorial. It really makes the whole process look a lot simplier.
  9. hypnotiza23

hypnotiza23 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    WOW, this is definitely one of the better tutorials I've read.

10. rhmyuen

rhmyuen New Member

Excellent post! Great work!